Thinking of selling my old homebuilt PC. Is it worth doing?

hero9989

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
First of all, this isn't an advert, I just want advice on whether it's worth doing firstly and if it is, which configuration would sell best and how much can I expect to get.

I was thinking of making a PC out of my spare parts, to get some money to do some extra upgrades on my new PC

These are the parts I have lying around
First:
ATX mid case
Motherboard: Asrock alive xfire e-sata II
I have 2 spare CPUs: 2.4Ghz Athlon x2 5400 and a 2.4Ghz Phenom x3 8750, either of which would work in the above Motherboard
Graphics Card: Palit Radeon 1GB HD4650
2x1GB DDR2 800 RAM or 1x2GB DDR2 800 RAM
1x 80GB Hard drive
1x DVD RW Drive
1x CD RW Drive
1x FlyTV Prime 30 FM Analogue PCI TV tuner card
1x D-Link Rangebooster N 650 PCI Desktop adapter (DWA-547)
Not sure about the make or anything of it's PSU off the top of my head, I'd have to check, but it's good enough to power the above, I'm sure of that.

(Still got the boxes for the motherboard, phenom CPU, 4650 graphics card, TV card, wifi card, not sure about warranties though)

I also have some parts from my PC before that (probably not worth the hassle but thought I'd see anyway:
sempron 3100: (1.8Gz)
2x512mb DDR Ram
Geforce FX 5500

bliq

Distinguished
Even still, I'd not be surprised if that setup sold for at least $200-250. Not sure if that's worth it to you. using the 'bay means you need to pay seller fees and paypal fees plus the hassle of shipping which may not make it worth it.

EDIT: I guess it depends on where you live. Here in Silicon Valley, there's probably more demand than somewhere with a lower concentration of nerds with money.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Sounds like you could put together a basic computer for a high school kid or for a first-time computer user family. Mind you that the retail stores and online dealers have basic systems for less than $300 that come with a warranty.

Put a basic system together and you might $120 for it (if you're lucky) but I wouldn't pay more than $100 for a used computer. Too many things can go wrong (PSU. HD, etc)

In my experience, it's almost never worth it to sell your machines. You don't get squat for them. You're better off doing cheap upgrades and keeping it around as a second computer, or even just leaving it as-is until the wheels fall off. If nothing else, you can have the Internet and a stereo in some other room, or the garage.

bliq

Distinguished

The OP would get more than $120. Just take a look at what $120 will buy on craigslist. This machine is in another class. those $300 machines have crappy graphics and procs- that's where the premium value is, but you have to find a buyer who is sophisticated enough to know he wants to game, but not so sophisticated that he thinks his knowledge of hardware is worth something so he should get a discount :)

luckily there are a lot of good buyers if you're in the right market. This machine has a host of premium level bits like the 4650, the tri-core chip, decent motherboard, 802.11N, it's worth a premium approaching if not equivalent to a $300 box with a suck-ass celeron and integrated graphics and no frills. Just need patience and a willingness to work with people.

True much can go wrong, but i believe

a) No one here is generally out to screw over someone else. call it geek's honor.
b) Generally it's cheap enough that replacing one part with another equivalent level part still makes it cheaper than buying new. and if it isn't, then you probably paid too much.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
I agree if you use the better parts you could put together a decent system that a buyer, if they intend to use it for something more than surfing the net and email, would be willing to pay more than $200.

You're probably still better off selling it part by part.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Right on !!! You should ask at least $300.00 for that system from somebody that knows what is what,it would make a good secondary or starter gaming rig for the right person,,just have to be patient,,place your add and wait sooner or later someone will show up and if you start at $300.00 that leaves you room to haggle...:)