HTPC/home theatre from Scratch

astroprez

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: next 3 months

BUDGET RANGE: $1200

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: DVD/BlueRay, General computing,

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: TV (Have LCD, and plan to upgrade that...but later)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: need advice

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Canada

PARTS PREFERENCES: need advice

OVERCLOCKING: No...probably beyond my comp knowledge

MONITOR RESOLUTION: HD LCD TV...so HDMI compatible

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Idea started by simply using LCD TV as monitor for new DELL desktop with wireless keyboard/mouse...as i started researching however regarding DVD/BlueRay playback, discovered this whole HTPC world and am now looking for advice...would like to include a receiver within the $1200 budget if possible...so $600 for HTPC and $600 for receiver...and i'll shop around for speakers after to fit...

Any advice is good advice...and i know there's not much direction here, so I'm leaving it wide open for the suggestions!!

Thanks in advance.

Sean

$600 Canadian is hard to do... are you sure you don't have any parts you can reuse? Operating system? Wireless keyboard? Anything? Do you need a tuner?

BTW, there's a really good combo at newegg.ca right now for $594.48 CAN:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.293808

combo293808

It only needs an OS, wireless keyboard, and a TV tuner.

astroprez

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

Thanks for the reply...

I'll take a good look at the combo that you suggested...as far as the budget goes...

it was an optimistic best guess....i can expand up to the 1200$ and save the receiver purchase for later....

it is really important that i get good quality components...i don't want to cheap out...but i don't want to pay for more than what i need...i have no problem paying more the product if i'll use it...but i don't want a extreme gaming setup when all i plan on using it for is basic computing and HD blue ray watching...

thanks again for the suggestion!