dacviet

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
i purchased the Phenom x2 550BE cpu and isntalled it in a M2N68-LA , Narra3-GL8E.. after i installed and turned the computer on it doesnt boot up or anything i guess its not compatible? can someone help me with this. thanks

Is it a M2N68-LA or a Narra3-GL8E ?? the former is a socket AM2 not AM2+ so may not support an AM3 chip ( http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00906129&lc=en&cc=de&dlc=&product=3397528 )

* Socket: AM2
* Supports the following processors:
o Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology up to 5600+ (up to 89 watt)
o Athlon 64 less than 4000+
o Sempron less than 4000+

THe Later is an AM2+ MOBO and might support it with the latest Bios update :

* Socket: AM2+
* Supports the following processors:
o Phenom with Quad Core technology (AM2+) up to 9600 (up to 95 watt)
o Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology X2 up to 5600+ (up to 89 watt)
o Athlon 64 less than 4000+
o Sempron less than 3800+

try going to the manufacturers website and see if there is a BIOS update that adds support for the AM3 chips.

Then it most likely will not work with an AM3 CPU - best bet would be to buy a new AM2+ MOBO that has support for that CPU (so that you can reuse the RAM) or return the CPU and get one that is on the list of supported CPUs for that MOBO

OK then seems they have a few revisions of that board and yours is an AM2+ ( MOBO LINKIE ) - Try contcting their support line and see if they have made a BIOS update to support the AM3 CHips (it should work with a BIOS update but some makers do not bother to create an update so it will depend on if they have or not - and HP\Compaq are not the best when it comes to support updates - but it is worth calling about.)

Seems they have an automated downloader that scans your system to see what BIOS update is supporte so you need to go here and run it on your system to see if there is an updated BIOS - if there is download it and Flash your BIOS (they should give directions on the process when downloading) - and then it might work with the new CPU - HP UPDate Utility LInk