E8400 is stuck at 6x multiplier

makaveli93

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Hi,

My computer is running very slow due to my processor staying stuck under the 6x multiplier. Speedstep is disabled and epu 6 is not installed. The only way I have found to increase my cpu speed (in which case everything runs nicely) is to have a cpu stress test run in the background. I'm also using an asus p5q motherboard and I may have missed an important driver.. if anyone knows which driver could effect this please let me know. Also I just did a dust clean up of my computer and I've been monitoring my computer's temperature, it's not an over heating issue.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Solution
First all of all speedstep is working. You said you have a 6x multi but when you run a stress test its the only way to increase the cpu speed. That IS speedstep.

Just reset all your BIOS settings to default. And leave them alone until you know what you're doing.

Once the settings are reset run cpu-z. When idle it should be 6x. Load up any type of cpu test or a demanding app and make sure it goes up. If/When it does just leave your system alone.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
First all of all speedstep is working. You said you have a 6x multi but when you run a stress test its the only way to increase the cpu speed. That IS speedstep.

Just reset all your BIOS settings to default. And leave them alone until you know what you're doing.

Once the settings are reset run cpu-z. When idle it should be 6x. Load up any type of cpu test or a demanding app and make sure it goes up. If/When it does just leave your system alone.

Solution