Sign in with
Your question

Removing hibernation mode from hard drive

Last response: in Storage
October 9, 2011 7:05:14 PM

My netbook Asus eee 1005HA had a disk failure - after showing BIOS screen is showing nothing. Using USB flash drive with Linux I can boot Linux, so I assumed Master boot record is destroyed. I couldn't mount disk from Linux - I was getting some message about disk hibernation, so I removed HD from the netbook and through USB connected HD to other PC and I see all folders. But now how can I restore MBR? I tried to use partition Magic 8.0, but it fails with the message "Windows 2000/XP was last shut down in hibernation mode. Restart Win2000/XP and do a normal shutdown before continuing".
An old FDISK is not recognized from a DOS screen.
So my question - how to remove this hibernation mode from this HD? I don't want to reformat HD - to many programs I installed.

Thanks,

Zalek
October 10, 2011 1:16:35 PM

MAybe just boot with a windows XP OS disk and try run the CHKDSK /R command to do a check disk might help solve the issue? Have you tried this already?
m
l
October 10, 2011 3:35:46 PM

Quote:
MAybe just boot with a windows XP OS disk and try run the CHKDSK /R command to do a check disk might help solve the issue? Have you tried this already?

Thanks for looking into my problem.
Unfortunately when I bought the netbook, I did not receive any WinXP CD. Also even I had one, I am not sure how to boot from the CD/DVD player. On BIOS it says it can boot from ATATPI drive - I have an external DVD drive, but I think it is not the ATATAPI type - I tried to boot connecting the DVD drive to the USB port - it did not work.
Meantime I found that the file hiberfil.sys in root directory decides if the disk is in hibernate mode. I renamed this file and now I am getting the message: "Invalid system disk Replace the disk,press any key to continue".
Also Partition Magic is working now, so I can see this disk. It is Active, primary - I think there is a problem with MBR - I will try to fix it.

Zalek
m
l
Related resources
October 10, 2011 9:58:13 PM

Correction to my previous post: the message ""Invalid system disk Replace the disk,press any key to continue" appeared because I did not restored boot sequence.
So after renaming hiberfil.sys I am in the same situation, Win is not booting, but now Linux can recognize my drive. My Linux is a little rusty - I an going to read how restore disk boot record.

Zalek
m
l
October 11, 2011 9:09:26 AM

LOL thought thats what you meant =) thats cool i will get an article that will help fix MAster Boot Record.

Here is an article for windows 7 very basic however and this will require booting through disk.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/32523/how-to-manually-re...

What version of OS is it? Just play with the booting of the dvd drive see if you can get it to work.
m
l
!