Sorry if dumb..C3, C6?

constepatdyak

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Hi. What is C3 and C6 state support? Do i need to turn those off along with intel virtualisation if i'm overclocking 2500k to 4.5ghz?

Also what is hardware prefetcher?

Sorry if i sound dumb :D

Solution

C3/C6 is powersaver of inactive cores. It can allow a higher frequency of active cores. Some people recommend disabling them, but I would keep them enabled unless you have stability problems.
If you have C1 C3 C6 enbled hardware prefetcher should be turned on to allow the proccessor to utilise the power saving features

edit: Virtulisation support is for virtual machines such as Hyper V etc. just disable this.

bleechy

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2012

C3/C6 is powersaver of inactive cores. It can allow a higher frequency of active cores. Some people recommend disabling them, but I would keep them enabled unless you have stability problems.
If you have C1 C3 C6 enbled hardware prefetcher should be turned on to allow the proccessor to utilise the power saving features

edit: Virtulisation support is for virtual machines such as Hyper V etc. just disable this.

Solution
I don't recommend turning anything off until the OC is proven unstable even with voltage increases - especially with large voltage increases. Then I turn everything off like C States and EIST.

However, 4.5ghz on a 2500k should be easy to get with all the features enabled.