Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I7 core number

Last response: in CPUs
Share
January 29, 2010 3:34:17 AM

I just installed an I7-860 onto an Asus Maximus III Formula mobo.
The MSConfig is set to 4 cores, and the BIOS is set to use ALL.

The Intel website says this CPU has 4 cores.

Yet, CPU-Z says I have 2 cores, not 4.

What gives?
Solutions, anyone?

More about : core number

January 29, 2010 6:54:15 AM

The only option(s) it gave was 1, 2, ALL
(tried this already. Thank you, though)
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2010 11:15:40 AM

jebuchanan said:
I just installed an I7-860 onto an Asus Maximus III Formula mobo.
The MSConfig is set to 4 cores, and the BIOS is set to use ALL.

The Intel website says this CPU has 4 cores.

Yet, CPU-Z says I have 2 cores, not 4.

What gives?
Solutions, anyone?



Hmmm, what happens when you turn off hyperthreading? does it go 4 cores and 4 threads?
m
0
l
Related resources
January 29, 2010 1:45:26 PM

Yes, it does. I just disabled HT in BIOS and the number of cores goes up to 4, with 4 threads.
With HT disabled, Control Panel shows 4 CPU graphs.
Did not check with HT enabled.

m
0
l
January 29, 2010 2:03:56 PM

jebuchanan said:
Yes, it does. I just disabled HT in BIOS and the number of cores goes up to 4, with 4 threads.
With HT disabled, Control Panel shows 4 CPU graphs.
Did not check with HT enabled.


lol thats weird.... maybe a problem with the CPU??? i have a similar problem, I have 12gb of ram installed onto my system and one day my core i7 920 decided to say 10gb, turns out it was the processor. I sent mine for warranty replacement. Try using CPU-Z to see what does that tell you.

PD. I used CPUZ and it turned out to show the 12gb of ram whereas both bios and OS said 10gb
m
0
l
January 29, 2010 2:30:29 PM

Just checked and yes, resource monitor does show 4 cores w/ HT enabled.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2010 2:47:57 PM

jebuchanan said:
Yes, it does. I just disabled HT in BIOS and the number of cores goes up to 4, with 4 threads.
With HT disabled, Control Panel shows 4 CPU graphs.
Did not check with HT enabled.


Thought so.

If remember right, a little while back someone else had this same problem.

i think it's either the os that's that causing it or the bios.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/273173-28-windows-sho...

either try what this user suggested

profettheone said:
Hi. Hope this might help unless u already have sorted it. But there might be other out there wanna know the solution. Now this is in general to rule out issues with one or more of the multiple cores and is by default unboxed. You can read more here: BOOT advanced option
Anyway, here it is a quick check for you(this is also in the abow link):

type "administrative tools" in the search bar on Start and klick it.
This will open a window for you. You will there choose "system configuration"
Klick on the tab "Boot" and choose "advanced options". U might have selected number of processors. Uncheck the box and accept.
Reboot is necessary.

Hope that sorts your problem ;-)

Best regards / Profet


Or update your bios and see if that helps.
m
0
l
January 29, 2010 4:52:15 PM

With the above suggestion, unchecking the box resolved the issue. It now shows 4 cores and 8 threads (as it should)
Thank you for the replies.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 30, 2010 4:02:06 AM

jebuchanan said:
With the above suggestion, unchecking the box resolved the issue. It now shows 4 cores and 8 threads (as it should)
Thank you for the replies.


No problem, any more questions or problems. feel free to ask. ;) 
m
0
l
!