Sign in with
Your question

Core i5 2500(non-K)

Last response: in Overclocking
April 4, 2012 6:03:13 AM

So I'm overclocking my CPU with Asrock extreme tuner and I can overclock to 4.1ghz, is this safe for the i5(will be using Hyper 212 Plus)? I overclock it a bit when playing BF3 to 3.7 ghz but I don't change the BCLK frequency, should I? If so, to what? Last question, should I change the voltages when overclocking to 3.7(if so, to what?) or to 4.1(is so, to what)?

any feedback will help. Thanks.

More about : core 2500

a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
April 4, 2012 6:04:56 AM

Overclock in bios. What are your current voltages and temperatures? Run a few hour OCCT run and report back with temps.
April 4, 2012 8:10:21 PM

whats the upside in doing it in bios over extreme tuner? CPU voltage @1.000-1.017V. Temps @ 30 idle and around 40c when playing BF3
Related resources
April 4, 2012 10:01:11 PM

The thing about the i5-2500 is that you can only overclock to 3.8ghz in quad core mode. I'm not sure about your motherboard but in mine (MSI P67S-C43) if you overclock in BIOS you have access to turbo boost and power saving settings, which must be turned off for OC'ing to work (I believe). The advantage I've found with the software overclock is that it handles baseclock and voltages (if it has an auto-OC feature), and then all you need to do is change the multiplier.

And on a related note, how is BF3? I'm planning to get it later this month, do you have to overclock your i5 to get decent FPS? (I've heard multiplayer is harder on the CPU, is that why you are overclocking?)
April 4, 2012 10:37:04 PM

So if I do overclock to 4.0ghz how many cores will it then use? My mobo is an Asrock z68 Extreme3 Gen3.

And BF3 is amazing on PC! I also have it for ps3 and 360, now that ive played it on PC on ultra, console graphics look like ***! I have shadow quality and texture quality on low and everything else maxed I get about 60 fps. In intense parts when something explodes in front of me it goes down to 45.
April 5, 2012 1:43:39 AM

xlcb said:
So if I do overclock to 4.0ghz how many cores will it then use? My mobo is an Asrock z68 Extreme3 Gen3.

And BF3 is amazing on PC! I also have it for ps3 and 360, now that ive played it on PC on ultra, console graphics look like ***! I have shadow quality and texture quality on low and everything else maxed I get about 60 fps. In intense parts when something explodes in front of me it goes down to 45.

At 4ghz it will be running in dual core mode. I just looked up your motherboard, looks very nice. I wish I had got it for my rig :) . Low? What GPU do you have?

Here is a helpful image:
April 5, 2012 1:48:22 AM

Why thank you! What kind of mobo do you have? What effect on performance does 1 core have?
April 5, 2012 3:00:17 AM

xlcb said:
Why thank you! What kind of mobo do you have? What effect on performance does 1 core have?

I have a MSI P67S-C43 mobo. It's decent, it's a cheap ($90, but seems to have been discontinued) P67 motherboard, so it has too many USB ports and supports overclocking. Only having 1 core active at 4.1ghz will probably be bad for performance, because then it's only one slightly faster core doing all the work. I would recommend 3.8ghz quad core mode, that will probably get you the best FPS.

On another related note, have you noticed anything weird when you overclocked your i5-2500? When I overclocked mine something with the voltage messed up and it was running at 6.28ghz, apparently that's not good. And what GPU are you using? My guess would be something along the lines of a 9800GT or 6670.
April 5, 2012 6:42:02 AM

No I've never experienced anything weird with my i5. I've used Asrock extreme tuner and bios and everything seems to be fine. I'm using a gtx 570(trying to find good/stable specs for it right now). And thanks for telling me about the 1 core when overclocked to 4.1 I didn't know that happened..thats weird? Why would it go down to 1 core? It would make more sense to utilize the other 3 cores also?
a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
April 5, 2012 6:44:11 AM

It's just one core running at 4.1ghz. Depends on the program, because not every program can utilize more than 1 core.
April 5, 2012 7:02:44 AM

Oh ok gotcha. And I'm only overclocking the cpu and gpu for battlefield 3 and crysis 2
a c 169 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 5, 2012 7:34:15 AM

- don't overclock the CPU if you don't need to. For example, run a benchmark with your CPU at stock speed and run the same benchmark at a higher speed and see how much difference it makes.

I see people overclocking from 2.8GHz to 4GHz and might go from say 75FPS to 80FPS but then run at 60FPS (VSYNC) anyway so there's no point in that scenario.

Basically there's no point to overclocking your CPU if you already get above 60FPS. (plus the issues with reducing the number of cores which also makes it pointless)

- My advice is to stay at 3.5GHz.
April 6, 2012 10:26:22 PM

xlcb said:
No I've never experienced anything weird with my i5. I've used Asrock extreme tuner and bios and everything seems to be fine. I'm using a gtx 570(trying to find good/stable specs for it right now). And thanks for telling me about the 1 core when overclocked to 4.1 I didn't know that happened..thats weird? Why would it go down to 1 core? It would make more sense to utilize the other 3 cores also?

The i5-2500, being intel's non multiplier unlocked i5, can only be overclocked to 400mhz over the turbo frequency. So quad core turbo mode is 3.4ghz, so you can overclock to 3.8ghz. Although with some baseclock changes, I was able to get it to something like 3.916ghz. And you have to run on low on a GTX 570? And if you are having to run on low on account of super-high res Nvidia surround setups, then only GPU overclocking will increase FPS much.
April 25, 2012 6:13:15 AM

heck no man! I can run BF3 on ultra with my gtx 570. I play on 1920 x 1080
a c 169 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 27, 2012 1:20:21 AM

xlcb said:
heck no man! I can run BF3 on ultra with my gtx 570. I play on 1920 x 1080

Read his quote again. He's talking about multiple monitor gaming.
April 30, 2012 3:22:01 AM

photonboy said:
Read his quote again. He's talking about multiple monitor gaming.

He said he had shadow quality and texture quality on low so I wondered why he would be running those on low with a GTX 570, and multi monitor gaming was the only way I could imagine a GTX 570 having to put shadow and texture quality on low, since my lowly 6870 can manage everything on highest possible.

Just to clear it up you do run everything on ultra?
a c 169 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 5, 2012 12:08:31 AM

Back to the CPU:
Based on the chart, the maximum TURBO you can get is 3.4GHz and still have four cores. With TURBO disabled you can hit 3.8GHz with four cores.

So my advice is either:
a) use TURBO at 3.4GHz (not sure if TURBO or non-TURBO is 3.4GHz)
b) disable TURBO and run at up to 3.8GHz

It sounds like TURBO adds 400MHz if needed so once you almost hit 3.4GHz you jump up to 3.8GHz when TURBO kicks in.

RAM:
Don't overclock your RAM accidentally. If you increase the Baseclock (which clocks the CPU and RAM) by 20% it might also overclock your RAM. If so, you may have to go into your RAM settings and drop the MULTIPLIER for it so you drop back down to the proper RAM frequency.

SUMMARY:
- recommend disabling Turbo-core and run CPU at between 3.5 and 3.8GHz
- make sure RAM is not overclocked
!