  • Backup
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
September 4, 2004 10:13:18 AM

After some funky problems, I restored a backup copy of a
program (Netscape data). However, my last backup was fairly
old and I want to undo the restore so that I get my most
recent data, even though they are corrupted.

I have tried with XP system restore but that doesn't change
anything.

How can I undo that backup restoration?

More about : undo backup restore

Anonymous
September 4, 2004 10:37:10 PM

"Stephane" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>After some funky problems, I restored a backup copy of a
>program (Netscape data). However, my last backup was fairly
>old and I want to undo the restore so that I get my most
>recent data, even though they are corrupted.
>I have tried with XP system restore but that doesn't change
>anything.
>How can I undo that backup restoration?

Which "backup restoration"? If you used NTBACKUP, you cannot undo this
unless you did not overwrite newer files with the ones from the
backup. The issue here is to backup the newer files before restoring
the older ones or to restore the backup to a different place on the
HDD.

--
(tm)
Anonymous

I used the Windows XP backup and pasted the older
(backed-up) files over the newer ones (corrupted). I tought
that doing a system restore would returned to the previous
state, however the files that I restored from the backup
did not revert back to the original corrupted (but
prefered) state

Anonymous
September 6, 2004 1:24:17 AM

>I used the Windows XP backup and pasted the older
>(backed-up) files over the newer ones (corrupted). I tought
>that doing a system restore would returned to the previous
>state, however the files that I restored from the backup
>did not revert back to the original corrupted (but
>prefered) state

No, the System Restore tool will leave data files untouched to avoid
data loss.

--
(tm)
!