Final AMD 890FX Motherboard Selection

FrPSh

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Hey Community,

I am trying to find a mobo for a new build, and I've essentially got it down to 4 or 5.
I wanted to ask and see which of these boards you would recommend as the best. They're all using the 890FX chipset, so they're all pretty new and don't have many reviews. The main differences between these is the number of x16 PCI-e slots. I possibly will crossfire in the future, but I'm thinking I don't really need more than 2 PCI-e slots.

So check out this link.

What brand is your favorite?
How about that ASrock one? Looks good and cheap.

Thanks for any recommendations you can offer.

FrPSh

Solution
Hi.

In this order goes my favorites:

1- Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5
2- ASUS M489TD PRO
3- MSI 890FXA-GD70
4- ASRock 890FX DELUXE (This is an ASUS's partner)
5- BIOSTAR

mrguti

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
I'm in the same boat as you. I was thinking the Asus Crosshair IV at first but it seems like the MSI and Gigabyte boards are pretty similar in performance but cheaper by $30-$50 which can go toward a good video card. From what I've read it seems like Gigabyte and Asus are the best with MSI moving up with their 890fx board. I am certainly no expert though. My main question would be which board is best for a novice getting into overclocking? It looks like the Crosshair and the MSI board can overclock with the push of a button....not sure that the other boards have this feature though.

FrPSh

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, the MSI looks like it has the most features, but the Gigabyte has more reviews. Personally, I like the darker colors of the MSI board :). But right now they're both essentially the same price, right?
The Crosshair looks very very high-end. I don't feel like I need that since I'm not an extreme overclocker either. This would be my first overclocked system if I build it.

ASUS and Gigabyte was the 1st in comes out with the OC buttons in the mobo, and specially for Gigabyte for two amazing words: "Dual Bios"

ASUS and Gigabyte are pure overclokers mobos, even, if u see many of the OC contest works with ASUS and Gigabyte (usually Gigabyte). Both ASUS and Gigabyte are quality, reliability and performance. I'M NOT saying that MSI don't have that features, in fact, i'm running a MSI mobo with my X4 955, but for time in the business ASUS and Gigabyte are much better that MSI.

Why I choose the Gigabyte and ASUS over the MSI?, The Gigabyte mobo can delivered the same or better performance that the MSI 890FXA-GD70 with a less price and the ASUS has the same price that the MSI, but for quality I prefer ASUS.

Like I say up, I'm not saying that MSI is bad, I'm just saying that if u have the possibility and the money to go with Gigabyte or ASUS is a better choose.

FrPSh

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
With them both being the same price on Newegg right now, it maybe comes down to preference? ($180 for both, after MIR for the MSI one).
The MSI seems to have more features.

FrPSh

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
I've been looking online and most people seem to trust Gigabyte more for quality (which is essentially the most important point for me right now).
It has more 5 star reviews on Newegg and seems to be better quality. So maybe I'll just have to sacrifice good looks for quality. I think that's more important.
I assume I won't ever have a need for more than 2 PCI-e 2.0 slots.

What do you think mrguti?

TRENDING THREADS