Sign in with
Your question

IDE HDD and Sata HDD Boot Problem

Last response: in Systems
November 14, 2009 12:19:36 AM

Long story short. I installed an old 80 gb IDE hard drive and a new SATA hard drive into my build. I was hoping to use the old drive as my OS drive and use my Sata for storage. Computer boots fine up to the MSI splashscreen. After the splashscreen is done I get an error saying the hard drive cant start because there was an error last boot. It then gives me the options to start in safe mode, safe mode with networking, last good known settings etc. Ive tried every option on there and still nothing. Last time I used my old pc it was working fine and it didnt give me those error messages when I used it.

Suggestions on how I may go about fixing this?

Maybe theres something in the bios im overlooking?

Could it be the jumper?

computer specs.

AM3 X2 550 BE
MSI 785GM-E65 AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Corsair XMS 3 1600 DDR3 (running at 1300)
Antec 650 EarthWatts
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD502lJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive OEM
November 14, 2009 1:00:50 AM

If you using the old HDD with the old install of the OS, that would be your problem. When the OS installs, it very much becomes bonded to the mobo in the system it was installed on. Taking just the HDD to a new system is like trying to do a nervous system transplant. It isn't going to happen. You need to to do a clean install of the OS onto the old drive or you can attempt a repair install, but that's hit or miss whether it will work or not.

If you have files you need to pull off the drive, you can make a linux live CD and use that to transfer the data you need to your new drive. Do the clean install of windows, and that should work.

The real question though, why put the OS on the slower older drive? You'll see faster load times and startup on the Spinpoint F3. Is the 80 gigs of capacity that critical?
November 14, 2009 1:40:04 AM

Thanks for the reply

There were a few things on that hdd that were of great importance. I took out the drive already now I am in the process of booting up my new pc.
!