Building Mammoth Gaming Rig - Need Help

gulighs1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
Hi, ive been following this site for a while. I really enjoy reading the articles and the info on OC ing.

so i need some help and after being unsuccessful on yahoo answers i thought this would be a better place to ask .......... thanks muchly in advance.

Im building a powerful gaming rig and need help with storage.

Currently i have 2 x 1.5 TB HD's included in the setup.

I want to add a 150 gb Velociraptor (10000 rpm) this is where windows 7 ultimate will be installed.
basically im only going to isntall games/software to one of the 1.5 tb's.

this is because i want the least amount of "clutter" on the windows section.

my question is , with my proposed setup, will it affect the games performance in anyway as it has to be accessed from a different hard drive?

This is the rest of my rig:

Its based around components from novatech uk website. (the current setup is worth £2500) Im using this website because i only have £1000 and they offer a buy it now pay after 12 months no interest.

Intel Core i7 920
Samsung SM2233RZ 3D 120Hz Monitor Nvidia 3D Glasses Bundle
Asus Rampage II Extreme Intel X58
2 x Western Digital Caviar Green Power 1.5TB 32MB Cache SATAII
LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Reader and DVDRW Drive
Corsair Dominator 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz
Antec Twelve Hundred Ultimate Gamer Case
Razer Mamba Wireless Laser Gaming Mouse
Noctua SE1366 NH-U12P SE1366 Exclusive Dual Fan CPU Cooler
Sony DRU870S 24x DVD /-RW Dual Layer DVD-RAM SATA - Retail
Windows Ultimate Edition 7 English DVD - Retail
EVGA GeForce GTX 295 Co-Op Edition SLI 1792MB Retail with PhysX, CUDA & 3D Stereo
Corsair HX 850W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant Power Supply
Belkin 36 Piece Engineers Tool Kit
Logitech 7.1 Digital Precision Gaming Headset
Razer eXactMat - eXactRest Gaming Surface Bundle
Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 3 User 1 Year DVD - Retail
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard (novatech do not have g19)
Akasa Internal Smart Card Reader
Zalman ZM-MFC3 Multi Fan Controller

It would be most helpful if you can point the mistakes or improvements with this setup, thanks.
Also since im spending this much, any other advice i could use would be helpful.

gulighs1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009

sonic-boom

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
You don't need that tool kit, a small screwdriver is all you need. Don't get the Caviar greens, they are slow, get Caviar black or samsung spinpoint f3. That internet security, meh, just get antivirus Im sure that thing is like $100, AVG is free.

gulighs1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
thanks a lot for you help,

after the responses, im currently exploring other hard drive option
here is what i have now:

Basically my setup needs Storage Harddrives for my Media
and one main HD for windows/games/software

Option 1 :

Main HD : WD Caviar Black
Storage HD : 2x 1.5 TB Caviar Green

Or

Option 2 :

Main HD : Veloviraptor 300 gb
Storage : 2x 1.5 TB Caviar Green

You see the thing is i dont know if i need the extra "punch" of the velociraptors.
Considering my current setup will a velociraptor make a difference?
because i dont want to be anal for an extra 200 pound if it just give me a second of faster load time.

What do you think?

also since novatech currently only has g15, will i be missing out on a lot by not getting the g19?

and is my gaming case good enough for this build ? or should i got for something better..

sorry aobut hitting you with al these question, but it is £2500 and i don't want to **** it up.
i want to get it as flawless as possible for my price range.

many thanks in advance for your answers.......... may you be eternally blessed with erm...... a sea of gtx 295's

For the OS and frequently used games drive, consider the Intel X25-M 160gb gen2 SSD. It is pricey, but there is nothing better today.
Alternatively, the 300GB velociraptor is appropriate for a high end setup.

To save a bit to pay for it, here are a few thoughts:

The ASUS rampage extreme is a good motherboard, but it will not perform any better than any other X58 motherboard. It is targeted at maximum overclocking enthusiasts. A mild overclock to 3.2 will not require any voltage changes with any X58 board. Such a speed will run any game well. You can save half the cost there. The P6T would be fine.

The Antec 1200 is a great case, but a smaller case will hold your parts and cool just as well. Consider the Antec 300 600 or 902 instead.

The Antec cases come with three speed fan switches. Do you really need a separate fan controller?

Is there something in windows-7 ultimate that you need? Home premium is usually sufficient. If you later need something in ultimate, you can just pay for the upgrade and keep your installation.

The GTX295 is a great card, but the 5870 is comparable in performance, runs cooler, and has DX11 support. It costs less too, but they are hard to find.

Corsair 750W would be plenty to run either card.

For a high end gaming PC, why not look at a 2560x1600 30" monitor? Get the best monitor you can afford up front. It is one of the few "future proof" purchases you can make today. You will be looking at it for a long time.

Do you need both a blu-ray drive AND a DVD drive?

sonic-boom

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Again, do not get the Caviar greens whats so ever, they are slow, get two samsung spinpoint f3s or something. The HDD is ALWAYS the bottleneck of your system. As geofelt said, SSD is a good option but pricey.

It looks to me like the caviar greens will be used for storage. For that use, performance is not as important as cost per gigabyte.
No question that the blacks are faster, but could the cost difference be put to better use elsewhere?

gulighs1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
Thanks very much guys , your information is very valuable to me.

I guess some of the thing in my setup are not neccessary.

basically my bugdet is £2500 to £3000 i DO NOT want to exceed this much.

i deffinately want the 295 as i want the best card of the time to help my computer last a while
and if it starts getting outdated i can always sli (however i reckon hardware has far exceed gaming requirments for the time being)

i dont want a 30 inch screen as i like sitting at a desk and dont want to have to sit miles away.
the reason i chose that screen is becase it works with the 3d vision glasses and it is a very good monitor.

im currently debating the ssd's the guys mentioned above.

so my next question

will a caviar black bottleneck my setup,

because i dont want to spend that much money on a ssd if all it will do is improve load time by a few seconds.
if the difference is HUGE then i might consider it, it will hurt my pocket. but i may go for it.

------------------
edit

i just checked velociraptor 300gb its £173
i can afford that.

what do you think guys wil that give me a considerable boost over the caviar black?
see the thing is , like ive stressed above. im not keen on spending extra for a 3 secs of faster load time.

oh man im so lost right now.