Comments/Suggestions for a new build

liamtoh1

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
Hello,

I am planning to build a new system and would appreciate some comments and suggestions -

PPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE:
3-4 weeks (hoping for some good deals during BF)

BUDGET RANGE:
$400 After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:
Photoshop (family photos), HD Video Editing (home videos)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED:
Monitor (with built-in speakers)
Keyboard
Mouse
OS (Win7 Ultimate 64bit)
Antec SLK3000-B Case (3yr old)
Antec TPII-550 12V 550W PS (3yr old)
ATI AIW X600 PCI-e Video Card (may upgrade later)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:
newegg.com
zipzoomfly.com
microcenter (B/M within 45 min. driving)

PARTS PREFERENCES:
AMD Phenom II X4 955BE
ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
Patriot G Series ‘Sector 5’ Edition 2x2GB DDR3 1600

OVERCLOCKING:
Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE:
No

Solution
I built a X4 955/ASUS 78T-E system a week ago, for the very same kind of use as you're listing. Great combination - works like a charm and gives a Windows Experience of 7.3 (Vista: 5.9max; Windows 7: 7.9max) for the CPU. Your GPU is a dog - you'll want something faster for the HD video processing. I got an ASUS 9600GT SILENT - technology's already a bit dated, but it scores a still-good 6.8, has no fan, so it's completely silent, and it cost me only $70 (after rebate) from NewEgg.

You don't need 1600 RAM - 1333 is fine for Phenom II. Crucial has the best price-performance ratio right now, according to a recent test found elsewhere on Tom's.

You'll want a PSU with at least 450W for this combo - check you old one to make sure it's got...

lok

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
I built a X4 955/ASUS 78T-E system a week ago, for the very same kind of use as you're listing. Great combination - works like a charm and gives a Windows Experience of 7.3 (Vista: 5.9max; Windows 7: 7.9max) for the CPU. Your GPU is a dog - you'll want something faster for the HD video processing. I got an ASUS 9600GT SILENT - technology's already a bit dated, but it scores a still-good 6.8, has no fan, so it's completely silent, and it cost me only $70 (after rebate) from NewEgg.

You don't need 1600 RAM - 1333 is fine for Phenom II. Crucial has the best price-performance ratio right now, according to a recent test found elsewhere on Tom's.

You'll want a PSU with at least 450W for this combo - check you old one to make sure it's got it.

Except for the graphics card, I bought everything from ZipZoomFly as their package deal was clearly better.

Solution

lok

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
BTW, OC'ing is a snap. It started getting instable around 3.8GHz, but I didn't fiddle much with the CPU voltages. Without changing anything else, you can safely OC it to about 3.7GHz as long as you keep an eye on CPU temp. I'm using the default AMD cooler and had no temp issues with it.

liamtoh1

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
Thanks for the replies. I am really looking at buying a mobo with built-in video (with sideport memory). Sorry about not mentioning in my original post. I will probably not use my current video card in the new build.

Preferred Mobo with eSata, built-in GPU, ATX form factor.

I want to initially use the built-in GPU and within 6 months or so, when the prices drop, I will get a dedicated GPU.

I had considered i5, but after reading issues about 1156 problems (foxconn), I decided to stick with AMD. Also according to info gleaned from the internet, AM3 boards will likely support Core 6 CPUs, but Intel 1156 will not.

How about this memory Patriot Viper II Sector 5 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)?

lok

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Adding 4GB won't give you more performance, only a safety buffer should you need that much memory.

I would suggest saving the money. 4GB is plenty for what you do. I track memory usage and haven't seen more than 3GB used up when running Photoshop and Premiere simultaneously. I only get close to using more than 4GB when I also run Captivate, which is a resource hog but a pretty exotic application. That's why I'm running mine with 6GB.

liamtoh1

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009

Thanks.