Need 'realiable' Temperature monitoring Software with alarm.

jowunger

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Hi,

I just changed from Asus P5Q to Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R. The first thing I found is that Gigabyte doesn't have a Temperature monitor as Asus (Probe II) has. I need a Temperature Alarm in Windows. Bios Temperature Alarm is no good. Can't hear much, just a low beep. I need a temperature Alarm which is 'really' reliable.

So I ask: What Temperature Monitoring/Alarm do you use (and why the hell does Gigabyte not include a important utility like that!!)?

Thanks!

EDIT: Forget to mention that I use watercooling http://www.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?a7d7bbab4b.jpg

Download speedfan it doaes everything temps, fan speed alarms logging volts all in one program its great. A little complicated to setup at first but just read there help section it explains in detail how to set it up. You can set it up to play any sound you want for interval of time when the alarm sounds. Once you get to know the program its really neat all the things it can do.

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

jowunger

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Why do you need a temperature alarm??

If you run Prime95, you already know what your max temps are. If the max temps are good in Prime95, they will be good running your programs or games, there's no need for an alarm.

Its always hilarious to see people trying to convince you that you "don't" need something, which you of course need. Anyways:

1) I use watercooler - I use an external cooling source.

2) If you think you get max temps with prime95 then think again with Intel Linpack test which will produce up 15 Degrees more heat on the CPU then prime95.

3) I use an external water Tower, half a meter high and I had a scenario where my CPU was 100 Degree Celsius hot. The problem was some loose plug. I think you want to have an alarm for that.

My old link http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253556-28-100c-overheating-survived

Please don't tell me to nail the plug to the wall because I not need that. I need an simple Hardware Monitor with alarm =)

Thanks

jowunger

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008

Thanks for that but SF reports wrong core temperature and CPU Speed. At SF website I see that I am not the only one with that problem with my board.

I just tried HWMONITOR were also the CPU speed is reported wrong. The CPU temp is the Enviroment temp and vice versa Enviroment temp is CPU temp.

Funny thing is that CPUID HWMONITOR works correctly but doesn't have an alarm function. :(

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
An alarm is nice to have to but you don't find a software for it, the best thing to do is if you have two monitors, run the game on one of them and an accurate temp monitor on the other so you can see temps realtime and not have to rely on an alarm which might even work if you don't set it up correctly.

jowunger

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Oh boy. Ok well if your cpu hits 65c after 1 hr of prime 95 running your cores at 100%........your never going to reproduce that playing games or encoding video.....so.........as long as your 15c under your tj max your good......do you plan on using your computer to run Intel burn test 24/7 or do you have other uses planned for the machine?

Still fail to see why you need a temp alarm. lol

I live in a country where we have today 32C heat. I clock the CPU from 2.4Ghz to 3.2Ghz and need to be sure that things like this - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253556-28-100c-overheating-survived - not happen again.

@ blackhawk1928

sorry but LOL. I don't think that I will look at two monitors all the time. If I would use a fan instead water to cool the CPU wouldn't not need an alarm.

jowunger

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
CORETEMP IS THE WINNER !!!!

Ok, it works and it doesn't have an direct sound alarm but it can run a program instead. I just selected an program (in this case an TRAINER with nice C64-music) which get started at an selected temperature.

THNX!!

bivvy

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Well that's not heat. It gets 38c here in America for 7 months a year. And I overclock too, and I DONT use water cooling and I DONT need an alarm. LOL

....and I only use Coretemp...with the alarm OFF.

I agree that it does not matter so much whether it passes prime etc. running for so long, as this is not real world. as long as it can withstand video encoding for as long as you will run it, you should be fine.

but I think some kind of alarm is needed, incase what happened to him happens - a lose plug - and it gets way too hot. Or for some reason your video encoder starts generating more heat than normal.