Why are we gonna need cases

szbxa

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
just suddenly feel that cases are useless. they have to have enough room enough air folw and always cost a lot of money. but why the hell do we need it. why don't you just put up your components and just lay them out nicely on the table? there will be alsolutely enough room for video cards absolutely stay at room temp at all the time. why is everyone buying a case! if anyone can tell me it's a stupid idea to build a PC without a case. don't tell me we need air flow to cool the chipsets. the temp changing can make air flow by itself.

Solution
Protection.
-static shock
-physical damage
-vibrations caused by the motherboard not being securely mounted on anything.

And you are wrong about the chipset. My chipset is an Nvidia 8200m. Notorious for getting hot. with the case and gaming, it heats up to 80C. My case has only decent airflow so it only runs a little cooler with the side of the case on than with the side of the case off (effectively negating the case). The chipset heats up more though with the side of the case off because there is nothing to remove the hot air around the chipset heatsink quickly enough- the movement of air caused by the differences in temperature is not even close to as effective as a fan or case. It would be pretty much useless especially...
Protection.
-static shock
-physical damage
-vibrations caused by the motherboard not being securely mounted on anything.

And you are wrong about the chipset. My chipset is an Nvidia 8200m. Notorious for getting hot. with the case and gaming, it heats up to 80C. My case has only decent airflow so it only runs a little cooler with the side of the case on than with the side of the case off (effectively negating the case). The chipset heats up more though with the side of the case off because there is nothing to remove the hot air around the chipset heatsink quickly enough- the movement of air caused by the differences in temperature is not even close to as effective as a fan or case. It would be pretty much useless especially since the hotter air would be in such a small area and the temperature differences would not cause a large enough breeze across your motherboard in a room. I used to have a tiny fan mounted on the chipset with a couple of twist ties. The max temperature it hit then was 50C.

You are however arguing that you don't need a case. If you don't want protection, and you were to mount fans to blow air away from components that produce too much heat... then you don't need a case

Solution

A good case should improve cooling.
Makes it easier to move.

And my cat regards dangling wires as play toys.

lok

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
One more thing: the PC case acts as a Faraday cage that shields the PC from electronic interference. If you keep all your components out in open air, turning on your hairdryer or using your garage door remote might reset your PC or cause other issues.