Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 wireless adapter 64 bit

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b $ Windows 7
February 28, 2010 1:48:24 PM

Can anyone tell me what wireless adapter runs with Windows 7 64 bit. I just want the name of a brand that works. Wireless N or G as long as it runs 64 bit native.
February 28, 2010 6:43:14 PM

Quote:
Can anyone tell me what wireless adapter runs with Windows 7 64 bit. I just want the name of a brand that works. Wireless N or G as long as it runs 64 bit native.

Hi chance1014,

I had a very hard job of getting any USB wireless adapter to work with Windows 7 64 Bit. Eventually I got the Linksys WUSB600N to work, but not with the Linksys 7 driver but with RALINK's 7 Driver.
It would only work if during the install process I was connected to the router by cable and had attached the adapter, installed the linksys 7 driver in device manager, uninstalled it (don't ask me why?), re-booted, installed the RALINK driver (not the utility that goes with it), disconnected the adapter, re-booted and then connected the adapter and disconnected the cable.
For me it did not work out of the box and seems to be dependent on following a certain procedure, can not say if it would work for you but it might be worth a try! To be on the safe side back up and create a restore point.
It didn't work at all if I tried this not hardwired to the router.

Regards keith263
m
l
a b F Wireless
February 28, 2010 7:54:08 PM

FWIW, you might want to consider a wireless Ethernet bridge instead (at least for a desktop, perhaps a bit impractical for a portable unless it’s a “travel” sized unit).

[wireless router]<--wireless-->[wireless ethernet bridge]<--wire-->[pc]

Now you have no OS dependencies, and hence no drivers issues, even w/ future Windows releases (or Linux, or any other OS for that matter, as long as it supports wired Ethernet).

m
l
!