Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 wireless adapter 64 bit

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b $ Windows 7
February 28, 2010 1:48:24 PM

Can anyone tell me what wireless adapter runs with Windows 7 64 bit. I just want the name of a brand that works. Wireless N or G as long as it runs 64 bit native.
February 28, 2010 6:43:14 PM

Quote:
Can anyone tell me what wireless adapter runs with Windows 7 64 bit. I just want the name of a brand that works. Wireless N or G as long as it runs 64 bit native.

Hi chance1014,

I had a very hard job of getting any USB wireless adapter to work with Windows 7 64 Bit. Eventually I got the Linksys WUSB600N to work, but not with the Linksys 7 driver but with RALINK's 7 Driver.
It would only work if during the install process I was connected to the router by cable and had attached the adapter, installed the linksys 7 driver in device manager, uninstalled it (don't ask me why?), re-booted, installed the RALINK driver (not the utility that goes with it), disconnected the adapter, re-booted and then connected the adapter and disconnected the cable.
For me it did not work out of the box and seems to be dependent on following a certain procedure, can not say if it would work for you but it might be worth a try! To be on the safe side back up and create a restore point.
It didn't work at all if I tried this not hardwired to the router.

Regards keith263
m
l
Related resources
a b F Wireless
February 28, 2010 7:54:08 PM

FWIW, you might want to consider a wireless Ethernet bridge instead (at least for a desktop, perhaps a bit impractical for a portable unless it’s a “travel” sized unit).

[wireless router]<--wireless-->[wireless ethernet bridge]<--wire-->[pc]

Now you have no OS dependencies, and hence no drivers issues, even w/ future Windows releases (or Linux, or any other OS for that matter, as long as it supports wired Ethernet).

m
l
2 minutes ago

Anonymous said:

Ralink's internal USB with the antenna that sticks inside the case (looks more lika handle - peel and stick on non-metal surface) works fine ith 64-bit.

However, do not install the driver as part of a new build at initial startup. Load and streamline everything else. For some reason Ralink will sometimes attach itself to the directory of the initial shell load of explorer.exe and delay the windows opening by 10 or more seconds.. Device manager will provide no clue as to something amiss so if you have that driver loaded and you're getting a slow boot, I woud suggest deleting and reinstalling.
m
l
!