Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Looking for Test Air Cooler

Last response: in Overclocking
April 4, 2012 4:46:09 PM

Hi,

I have a stock XSPC from Cyberpower & Temps are constantly at 87c-ish! Think my water cooling is not working and I want to test it with an air cooler.

I have looked around, but am having trouble locating an Air cooler that I can Mount to my i5 2500k using the Existing water cooling screws that came pre-installed.

I simply want to test an air cooler on it and see what temps I get.
I could buy a top of the line closed loop for the price of sending this machine back to CP. Rather than spending enough just in shipping costs to RMA the whole machine back, I just want to add a decent cooler that will fit existing HW 1st - then I can just RMA the cooler.

XSPC has a pretty much Square screw configuration, whereas, say the Hyper 212 is more of a rectangular fitting.

I hope that makes sense :/ 

Anyone happen to know of a cheap, square-ish mounting, air cooler for an i5 just to test this?

More about : test air cooler

a c 324 K Overclocking
April 4, 2012 5:16:25 PM

Stock XSPC 'what'? Can you provide a product link for us?

If you were to only RMA the cooling system, they would almost decidedly require you to send the backplate as well (if there is one). I guess I am confused what mounting screws are you referring to...the backplate? Hole spacing is standard for socket 1155, so you'd need a cooler that fits that socket. Worst case, you have to remove the motherboard to replace the backplate.

More info might be able to help troubleshoot your issue, though.
m
l
April 5, 2012 2:41:04 PM

You have a good point, srry for the lack of info.

The cooler I have now from CP "appears" to be this one (but only 2 fans) the rest looks identical:

If you look at where the screw holes are, you'll see that it is prretty much Square where the bolts come up through the board to mount the CPU Contact block. I am 99% sure Mine does not work, at leat not very well At All. 87c is way too high just at idle and I have no idea how to test it. So...

So I want to mount an air fan to it that will fit the 4 existing bolts for a quick test and most coolers I have found thus far are more rectangular as to where the bolts come through the board.

I hope this makes more sense :) 
m
l
Related resources
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 5, 2012 3:05:45 PM

That's a great beginner kit...do you know if the pump is working and moving water? Is it plugged in/connected to power?

Who filled the cooler- did it come filled from the vendor, or did you have to fill it?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 5, 2012 3:09:46 PM

Mobo holes are standardized to the socket (LGA1155, LGA2011, etc), so the spacing should not be an issue, the issue is that almost every aftermarket cooler has a slightly different height backplate, and mixing and matching the wrong ones may end up with screws that are too long or too short to be of use. Most cases have a mobo tray cutout (even my cheap $40 case has one), so that you can just remove the other side panel and install the proper backplate without having to mess with things too much. Otherwise you are up a creek and would have to remove the mobo to be sure things are installed properly.

Before investing in an air cooler, and uninstalling your backplate, I would suggest trying to reseat/repaste the current one you have. Remember that too much thermal paste is just as bad (if not worse) than not enough paste, and it could be that they simply put too much on there.

Also, keep in mind that LCL (liquid cooling loops) do not get the same cooling performance as a true "water cooling" setup, and are often no more effective than an air cooler of 1/2 the price (though typically the LCL will be quieter if that is a concern).

87*c is warm, but not so hot that I would think it is doing nothing, and not so hot that it is going to damage anything, so it is likely a simple thermal paste issue.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 5, 2012 3:34:16 PM

This is considered an entry level watercooling loop- so it should definitely perform much better than what he is seeing. At load, you should expect really no more than 50C with Intel Burn Test unless you are doing some decent overclocking. At idle, 27-30C is average, but this is dependent upon your actual ambient room temperature.

I have a feeling either the pump isn't running due to not being correctly set to power up, the pump is bad (doubtful, but possible) or there is an issue with air being in the loop. I really doubt it is an issue with CPU block mounting as even if you have too much paste, once you seat the block, it will push excess out to the sides of the block. Remounting the block would be a decent idea, though just in case they didn't get it fully seated correctly.

I'm betting it's either an issue with the pump not running, or it is running and there is an airlock.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 7, 2012 7:00:14 AM

^ rubix has nailed those suggstions - and...case airflow and failing fans might also be the issue. Adding to the fans - they might be running on a lower rpm.

looks to me, thas an XSPC RS360 rad.

Quote:
Anyone happen to know of a cheap, square-ish mounting, air cooler for an i5 just to test this?

* i'll answer that question when and only when you've given up on that XSPC :D  :lol:  besides, you'll end up having two coolers - one with water and the other without.
m
l
April 9, 2012 10:12:18 PM

rubix_1011 said:
This is considered an entry level watercooling loop- so it should definitely perform much better than what he is seeing. At load, you should expect really no more than 50C with Intel Burn Test unless you are doing some decent overclocking. At idle, 27-30C is average, but this is dependent upon your actual ambient room temperature.

I have a feeling either the pump isn't running due to not being correctly set to power up, the pump is bad (doubtful, but possible) or there is an issue with air being in the loop. I really doubt it is an issue with CPU block mounting as even if you have too much paste, once you seat the block, it will push excess out to the sides of the block. Remounting the block would be a decent idea, though just in case they didn't get it fully seated correctly.

I'm betting it's either an issue with the pump not running, or it is running and there is an airlock.

Since the day I bought this rig, I have never seen Any type of movement in the resivior or the tubing. I am almost 100% sure that the Pump does not work.
I am always hot, so the ambient temps are pretty cool. All fans are working in my HAF-X full tower case. As to how to tell if it is even powered on: I can't find any info on where it's even supposed to plug in.
I'll remove the other side panel and see if I can trace the cable. But ya, 87c with zero load is not cool (ya - bad pun ;p ).
I have read that many "i5-ers" are running air just fine so I just want to buy one from newegg that will fit the existing screws if possible. If I can't find one, I guess I may have to just remove the whole cheap water cooler and try my luck at mounting a new one.
I wish I could figure out how to Test the current one, but there is not much info that I can locate on how to do that.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 9, 2012 10:17:05 PM

Again, I have the feeling that it isn't correctly setup. Was it initially filled and shipped to you, or were you supposed to do that yourself? (Trying to clarify) Also, I asked if you can confirm if the pump makes noise, or anything when turned on...can you confirm if the pump is making noise when the PC is on or not?

---Is there water inside the loop and reservoir?

---Does the pump make any kind of noise when you turn on the power?

I'm trying to help, but if you aren't willing to test, then maybe you are better off removing the cooler and going with air, but even then you are going to have to remove a lot of the components within your case and hopefully not leak water in the process. I don't understand the willingness to spend the money on the cooler, complain/seek help when it isn't working and then not work through the steps to help identify the problem and seek resolution.

Personally, you should contact Cyberpower support and inform them of your issue- they at least should be able to tell you if the unit was shipped with water and if it is correctly setup to start on power up. You should at least contact them for this if you aren't going to try and resolve the issue based on the info we've given.
m
l

Best solution

a c 78 K Overclocking
April 9, 2012 10:54:52 PM

Quote:
Personally, you should contact Cyberpower support and inform them of your issue- they at least should be able to tell you if the unit was shipped with water and if it is correctly setup to start on power up. You should at least contact them for this if you aren't going to try and resolve the issue based on the info we've given.
+ 50...

question to OP, if your car broke down in the middle of the road, would you: (since you are under warranty)
a| repair the car yourself?
b| call a tow truck and have them repair it?
c| call the dealership and ask what to do and also have them cover expenses since you're under the warranty guidelines?

* one more thing:
located in your sig:
"CyberPower Xtreme Hydro Liquid Cooling-240MM"
its surely not a custom solution from cyberpower. its a XSPC Rasa 750 R*240 kit. Replace the * with an X if your rad is thick about 25mm+ and replace * with S if its about 25mm in thickness.

we're yet to see any pics of your rig before we can really shoot a big helping hand.
April 14, 2012 6:53:45 PM

Lutfij said:
Quote:
+ 50...

question to OP, if your car broke down in the middle of the road, would you: (since you are under warranty)
c| call the dealership and ask what to do and also have them cover expenses since you're under the warranty guidelines?

* one more thing:
located in your sig:
"CyberPower Xtreme Hydro Liquid Cooling-240MM"
its surely not a custom solution from cyberpower. its a XSPC Rasa 750 R*240 kit. Replace the * with an X if your rad is thick about 25mm+ and replace * with S if its about 25mm in thickness.

we're yet to see any pics of your rig before we can really shoot a big helping hand.

Apologies for the lack of promptness and missed questions. I have had more health issues that have drained both time to reply and money which have made it impossible to reply.

Quote:

This was the 1st thing I did. However, CP will not cover the shipping costs according to the reps I have talked to and medical bills are my 1st priority. Frankly, I cannot afford $260 shipping at the moment hence the original questions.
But yes, I have been calling them about this water cooler for months. All I heard was "If it overheats, it will shut off".
I took a few pics. Plugged it into the SD reader (the new one they sent me as the 1st one didn't work) and... this one doesn't work either. But, I can upload them from an old pc if I can get it running.

Again, apologies for for not helping you help me :) 

I'll update when I get some pics uploaded.

Thanks for your patience.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 15, 2012 1:27:00 AM

[:lutfij:3] no worries mate, family and health are first priority!

Quote:
However, CP will not cover the shipping costs according to the reps I have talked to...Frankly, I cannot afford $260 shipping at the moment hence the original questions.

[:lutfij:2] this is very disappointing of CP ... dismal actually. Another note to yourself and others reading this, don't BUY prebuilt machines. The last prebuilt i bough was in 1999.

Post pics when you are able to and please also add as much info as you can that you think might help us, as run times, usage duration before the rig shuts off.

Quote:
"If it overheats, it will shut off".
how can a good/decent WC like the XSPC rasa 750 kit overheat? the pump must be dead or an airlock - but we'll know once you keep us posted.
m
l
July 12, 2012 2:21:07 PM

The health issues too priority. However, I finally sent the whole rig back to CP and they installed a new water cooling unit.
Temps are fine but the drain in my wallet from the espense of sending it was massive.

Anyway, thank you all for your help!
m
l
July 12, 2012 2:21:25 PM

Best answer selected by Rustyd79.
m
l
!