Trying to revive HDD after power failure

I hate to have to ask this, but I'm now suffering a migraine from stress :fou: and being parked in front of my pc trying to fix it so I'm running out of options. So here goes:

I have a pc that was plugged into a surge protector. I always leave it on so when we had a power outage, it was turned off. When trying to access my wifi, that's when I realized my pc was off. The surge killed something in my dsl modem (which was fine because I got a free upgrade :wahoo: ), the adapter plug for my router, and, at the very least, my power supply. Until I got the funds for the physical end, I wanted to see how my HDD survived.

I installed the HDD into my son's pc as a second drive and I was able to access the contents. Was even able to play a game that is ONLY located on my HDD! So, with that being said, we'll call my HDD D: and my son's C: and refer to as such from here on out.

When booting my harddrive, I came up with a BSOD "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)
The windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000135 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down."

After attempting MANY suggestion fixes, nothing worked. One suggestion...to use SyncBot to replace files from C: to D:. That was a HUGE mistake. When I tried to boot normally into C:, I got stuck in a logon loop saying " A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error code: 0×80070002." Neither of the MS fixes worked.

At this point, I was able to get into Safe Mode with either HDD. Since I couldn't get past the license logon loop, it led me to creating a bootable cd. Both HDD originally had XP Media Center with SP3 (D: was preloaded on by eMachines). I have an XP Pro installation disc, an XP2 upgrade disc and I downloaded SP3 and slipstreamed them all together since I wasn't able to uninstall SP3 from either drive. I ran the disc and was able to do a reinstall repair of C:. So, that HDD is now without problems so obviously the CD was made correctly. I tried to do a repair install on D:. I'm still having issues. I ran CHKDSK /p (wouldn't let me do /r). It told me there were one or more errors on the volume. I went to Western Digital's website and downloaded the Diagnostic tool onto a flash drive. I went into SafeMode on D: and did both a quick check and extended check. According to WD's tool, the disk passed both tests so there should be nothing wrong physically with the D: When I went into SafeMode on D:, it kept finding new hardware. Don't know if that's relevant, but now, it probably isn't. So now I ran the slipstreamed CD on D:. Along the way, when loading setup files, there were a few that couldn't load. I could pick "ESC" to ignore or "ENTER" to retry. Some went through when I hit Enter...others refused to but they seem to point to Windows Media Player so I figured they shouldn't be missed if they didn't load. When all was said and done, I tried to reboot and got a different BSOD saying "STOP: c000021 (Bad Image Checksum) The image WOW32.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not match the completed checksum." So...I loaded into C: and copied the wow32.dll file from the System32 folder of C: into the System32 folder of D: It seemed right since the file on C: was larger than on D: and both HDD now had the same exact OS install. I was going to copy the wow32.dll file in the I386 folders, but they were the same size so I canceled that. I rebooted into D: and was back to the original BSOD. So...I tried to get into the Recovery Console via CD and now I can't get into it. It told me that there was an upgrade currently in progress. I could Exit, Continue with the current upgrade, or Quit the upgrade and start a new install. I tried to continue the upgrade and it seemed to work fine except I got back to the Bad Checksum STOP BSOD. I tried to quit the upgrade and start new and that doesn't work either. I'm now STUCK in the install process. I also now cannot get into SafeMode on D: I can still access D: through C:

I don't know what I should do or try from here. I don't know if I should disable C: or C: and D: in BIOS and try to do it that way. It doesn't seem to make a difference what I do with BIOS when it comes to this since the CD can access both even if they aren't set to boot.

I thought to copy the boot.ini from C: to D:, but at this point, I don't want to chance screwing anything else up.

Any advice with clear, concise directions would be very much appreciated at this point. I can copy my files off D: onto either C: (don't think I have enough room though) or I can save some files in SkyDrive in Hotmail...or both. It's bad enough I might have to rebuild my pc (really hoping it's just the power supply and not the mobo) again (just rebuilt it 4 yrs ago).

If there's any other info you need, please let me know! Sorry it's so long, but I tried to get all the questions answered ahead of time. Thanks in advance!!
2 answers Last reply
More about trying revive power failure
  1. the found new hardware was relevant since the BSOD is most likely caused by the Windows on the D: trying to load the chipset/controller drivers of the old motherboard.

look into 'Fix HDC'
  2. Emerald said:
    the found new hardware was relevant since the BSOD is most likely caused by the Windows on the D: trying to load the chipset/controller drivers of the old motherboard.

look into 'Fix HDC'

Makes sense. Thanks! I did do something in the meantime. I decided to download the wow32.dll and replaced the one on D: and I can now get into SafeMode. But when I did, it said that Setup cannot be finished in SafeMode. It quit and restarted. It then said setup was starting. I thought that maybe we'd be able to move forward, but no. First I got a I386\halaacpi could not be loaded error. I've come across that before and once I rebooted the CD, it either finished or I'd get another xxx could not be loaded.

Well, off to work. I'll tackle it again tonight after work. Thanks for any help!
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Hard Drives Windows XP