Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need help concerning upgrade?!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 20, 2009 3:57:48 AM

hi this is my first post here! well getting to the point...
i have a desktop tht i want to make a graphics card upgrade bcuz it has onboard graphics.

heres a link to my computer specs:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01...

i want to know if i would run into problems and/or need any other upgrades? and i realize it is not the newest greatest pc but the only one i own for now.

(also maybe graphics card suggestions $150 to maybe $300 ati or nvidia)

i am just recently starting to learn about computer hardware and what not but just want a quick upgrade to play some games(fps&racing) for now since i do not own a console game system.

any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

p.s. "i come in peace" == meaning please no stupid or rude remarks.

More about : upgrade

a c 257 U Graphics card
November 20, 2009 4:15:42 AM

Hello and welcome to the forums. No worries most of us are nice to noobs! lol

Ok you have a PCI Express slot so you can upgrade however you only have a 300w power supply so if you want something powerful you are going to have to upgrade that as well.

Please post what resolution you game at as that will help us figure out a good graphics card for you.

Even if you do have to upgrade the power supply with a $300 budget you should be fine.
m
l
November 20, 2009 8:07:18 PM

anort3 said:
Hello and welcome to the forums. No worries most of us are nice to noobs! lol

Ok you have a PCI Express slot so you can upgrade however you only have a 300w power supply so if you want something powerful you are going to have to upgrade that as well.

Please post what resolution you game at as that will help us figure out a good graphics card for you.

Even if you do have to upgrade the power supply with a $300 budget you should be fine.

well i play combat arms(which is getting boring) at 1280 x 1024
BUT my monitor says 1440 x 900 is recommended resolution >>>yet it looks very weird so i dont use it in game just for everything else.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 257 U Graphics card
November 20, 2009 9:49:58 PM

The card just takes up 2 slots of space it does not plug into 2 slots. That is a very nice card and will be fine for all current games at 1440x900. It also supports DX11 so will be great for Windows 7.

Changing the power supply is easy and only requires you to plug it into the same places the old one was plugged into. No voltage changes are necessary as the power supply regulates that automatically.

When you upgrade ( to any card not just that one ) make sure you use a program like Driver Sweeper ( its free ) and follow the directions carefully to get the best performance out of your new card. Also always use the newest drivers from the companies website (either ATI or nVidia ) and not the driver that comes with the card.
November 21, 2009 12:07:12 AM

anort3 said:
The card just takes up 2 slots of space it does not plug into 2 slots. That is a very nice card and will be fine for all current games at 1440x900. It also supports DX11 so will be great for Windows 7.

Changing the power supply is easy and only requires you to plug it into the same places the old one was plugged into. No voltage changes are necessary as the power supply regulates that automatically.

When you upgrade ( to any card not just that one ) make sure you use a program like Driver Sweeper ( its free ) and follow the directions carefully to get the best performance out of your new card. Also always use the newest drivers from the companies website (either ATI or nVidia ) and not the driver that comes with the card.

ok thanks for clearing the 'slots' thing up and lil extra info.
and thanks shadow for the links! :bounce: 

i appreciate the help, now its just a where to spend money first.
graphics card upgrade(and power supply) is calling my name but so is xbox 360 modern warfare 2 limited edition. both in the $400 (considering the fact that i will probably buy something else too if i go with pc upgrade)<being a fan of technology can sometimes be a slightly bad thing :o  >

i might be able to get both before end of next month but wat do you think i should consider first?
m
l
a c 257 U Graphics card
November 21, 2009 3:56:23 AM

Power supply first. No reason to have a nice new graphics card collecting dust!

m
l
November 21, 2009 11:32:13 PM

anort3 said:
Power supply first. No reason to have a nice new graphics card collecting dust!

true, but i was talkin about the graphics card(including the power supply) or the xbox360 modern warfare 2 limited edition?

im gonna get both but which one should be first the graphics card(power supply included)
or the new xbox360?

sorry if i wasnt clear in the other post.
m
l
a c 257 U Graphics card
November 22, 2009 4:03:11 AM

That would be up to you. But as this is mostly a PC support forum I bet you could guess what I would recommend!

I just like the mouse and keyboard over console controllers. The only console I have is a Wii.
m
l
November 22, 2009 12:12:34 PM

anort3 said:
That would be up to you. But as this is mostly a PC support forum I bet you could guess what I would recommend!

I just like the mouse and keyboard over console controllers. The only console I have is a Wii.

oh yea well it being a pc forum shoulda made it obvious.

i like the mouse and keyboard better too!
but xbox 360 would be for playing games that are not fps or racing and for taking with me to friends house(for example) plus alot of people online are saying that they completely ruined modern warfare 2 for pc.

but yea i guess its my decision anyways thanks for the help!
black friday is like 5 days away so that day i will have one of my choices>>if i dont get trampled. lol
m
l
!