One single pump efficient enough for dual reservoir and radiators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwaggaLike

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Hey guys,

I'm planning to watercool my CPU and 2 GPUS.
The current system I have planned out has one 120mm radiator on the rear exhaust and a dual 120mm radiator on the top. It also has two reservoirs - one in a 5.25' inch bay and one on the roof fitted to the radiator.

So my question is if one single Swiftech pump would be enough to pump water around this build efficiently ?
Thanks!

Solution

Bling sir?
IMAG0333.jpg

:p
go for the 655 if you have the money, longterm investment because you'll still be running that pump in eight years time :)
Moto

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
with pump? the mpc 350 and 355 are to small in my opinion i have found that thay get stressed after the first two blocks with more than 1 rad. the mpc 35X might work, but I prefer the mpc 655 series I know they will work.

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
well I don't know what you have laying around your house, but I am a pak rat when it comes to computer parts and power supplies. have had no problems in the past using two different psu's when I did not want to buy a bigger unit. (EX: a 530 watt unit and a 350 watt unit) I used the larger unit to power the case components, and the smaller to power the peripherals the cd rom water pump and fans hope this helps.

SwaggaLike

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Yea I've read about the MPC655 being really good. I don't mind it being any brand different from Swiftech. Have any suggestions on good powerful piumps with an intergrated reservoir? Or any other pump that would be efficient enough for me

SwaggaLike

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011

Wow first guy I heard did this, because I was planning on doing the same myself. I was going to power ONE of my GTX 560Ti's using a regular 250WPSU. Just hope that a non-certified cheap PSU won't blow out my vidoe card!
Thanks for the quick replies

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Swiftech Dual Extreme Duty Small Form Factor 12 VDC Industrial PWM Pump, the bits power D5, Aquacomputer Aquastream XT USB 12V Pump - Ultra Version, all of these are strong pumps. the costs on all of them run form $100 - $200 dollars. personally I only buy swiftech pumps, so I do not know how long the others will last, but I get a solid 5 years out of swiftech pumps when run 24-7. I only shut them down to clean, and flush my system otherwise it's on all the time.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
MCP655/PMP-450/ are the same Laing/Delphi D5 pump; they are sold in the U.S. by Swiftech as MCP655 and most of the world by Koolance as PMP-450...also sold under the Alphacool and Aquacomputer names too, I believe.

To answer your question, yes, Swiftech has some great pumps and would work for this setup, although it depends what CPU and GPUs you plan to cool and if the radiators you listed will be enough to cool them.

Also- why do you have 2 reservoirs?

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
that is not exactly what I meant, the power supply that powers the MB must power the video cards as well. this is not the case for hdd, cd roms, fans, pumps and any other peripherals (fans will run at 100% all the time without the motherboard to control them ) but a cheap secondary micro controller can solve this issue with limited programming knowledge I like ardino kits the controller is powered by internal USB and it's about the size of your pinky. I use a temp sensor as a reference for the controller to change fan speeds. PWM pumps its even easer to program for a fixed speed.

Because three or more would be overkill?
:)
To Original question though, yes a single pump can feed a fair bit, but as you've already learned, it depends very much on the pump in question
Moto

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

the 750 you have should be sufficient for the purpose of running the motherboard and two cards as the second card will draw less power than the first (but it would help to know the motherboard as well to make shore of this) as long as the mother board is not pulling more than 150 watts you will be fine

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer

I had a feeling you'd show up as soon as I said this... :sol:

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
It's more just an enlarged radiator tank than anything else, and even then, it isn't adding much volume- it mainly is there to simplify the filling and bleeding when used with the Edge and Drive kits as they typically don't run an actual reservoir. However, unless the rad is mounted vertically with the pump on bottom, they can be a real pain according to some people who have used them.

SwaggaLike

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011

My motherboard is a ASUS SAbertooth P67. CPU - i7-2700K, and plan to overclock it.
Should the HX750 be good enough?

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
well from what I can tell, no. you would need a 850 watt sustained not peak wattage min. for this build, those video cards are really power hungry parts. if you plan to run everything with one power supply, you would need a 1000 watt to meet the needs of that system I hope this helps.

SwaggaLike

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011

Haha yea im getting two of the fusion reservoirs just for bling!

SwaggaLike

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011

I plan to mount the rad + res horizontally on the roof of the case. How do you think it will be pain? :/

SwaggaLike

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011

Thank you, it did help.
Do you approve the idea about running my watercooling parts + fans + hard drives + bay devices off of an additional 450W PSU?

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
well yes, but let me give you a real world example of what I am saying. years ago I bought a 530 watt enermax power supply, and the load that my system was capable of placing on the power supply was not its limit, but close. the power supply lasted one year so I sent it back, and they sent me a new one 530 watt power supply, and once agene it lasted one year, so when I sent this one back they sent me a 630 watt, as a replacement. the system still uses that power supply today ( good thing I had a 3 year warranty). so I guess what I am saying is that I do not like to stress the power supply to its limit, or even real close to it. this seems to have worked for me with regards to the power supplies lasting longer. have you seen this kind of issue as common issue with power supplies burning up to fast, if they are maxed to their load capability, are is this jest a onetime thing.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Even when overclocking the CPU, that 750 should have no problems handling this system. One of the biggest killers of a PSU isn't necessarily the load, it's about how clean the power is being supplied is. This is why a UPS that can deliver a more conditioned power flow would be ideal, or a very good surge protector that will trip during fluctuations in current. High, sustained loads and heat are not good for mediocre PSU's, but even great power supplies will die when exposed to poor household current.

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
that kind of logic I can't argue with, because I totally agree with you. but I use UPS units for all my computers, always have. not to mention the fact that these are not cheep $100 to $300 for one large enough for a standard computer, and if you start getting into the larger systems, well the price rises drastically. and how many people really use those systems, most of the people I know don't even consider it as necessary,(I am not speaking for myself hear).and that comment about mediocre power supplies, or for that matter low end power supplies. I worked for a pc build store, and the number one sellers for power supplies, were the cheapest one's we had of each size. it's not that we did not try to steer them in a different direction.ok sorry about that, here is how I cam to my conclusions abut the power supply. the graphics card can use up to 298 watts, the second card 200 watts, the mother board 159 watts, the processor 146 watts, all together that's 803 watts right, so while I do believe that the system will boot up and run fine under stock conditions. I was kind of thanking in the back of my head that he would like to play around with the over clocking ability of his motherboard, and I don't think that this would be advisable with this power supply it might be too much for it to handle.

grandpatzer

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
Do not use a 250w psu for one GPU, old psu's have high risk of breaking expecially as they usually are not designed for 12v full power(modern gpu).

I'm pretty sure the AX750 will handle that fine, you can usually buy a cheap killawatt to see what youre PC uses.

I think generaly it's more practical having one PSU, but you can have 2 just make sure you know how to install them and that they are good quality.

Ive also heard that they should be similar PSU's and "indy" psu.

Status
Not open for further replies.