Computer restarting every couple of minutes

Zigy221

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I just built a computer and it restarts every couple of minutes. No errors or blue screens, just black and then bios loads and windows says it shut down incorrectly. Please help.

Specs:
Windows 7 Pro
Antec 80Plus 650Watt EarthWatts
Raidmax Smilodon Case
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE
XFX Radeon 4870 1gb DDR5
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5
MSI NF980-G65 AM3 NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
OCZ Obsidian 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3OB1600LV4GK

I thought it was the 500W PSU so I went and bought a 650W with no noticable behavior change.

Thank you in advance

Solution
Temperatures that high usually indicate poor airflow someplace -- I'd check to make sure there's no obvious place where cables, cards, etc. are blocking a fan from circulating air as intended. And obviously, find out what tmpin1 is -- on most systems it's the CPU or the mainboard, but you need to know for sure. Then a beefed-up CPU fan, memory fan, northbridge cooler, etc. may help as long as you know which one to install.

There's a program called Everest that I've seen recommended a lot that will clear up which reading is which, no problem; it costs money, but you can probably use just the trial version to fix a single problem like this.

Other things I'd check:

1. Your RAM takes 1.65 volts but your mobo defaults to 1.5...

Zigy221

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
My computer just restarted and my resolution was 800x650 or w/e the default and I can only put it up to 1400x900 now. I think something is wrong with my vid card. What is it?

Zigy221

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
IDK what happen to graphics card but it works fine. I manually set DIMM speeds to 9-9-9-AUTO since it wont let me set 24. I think im going to start asking for refunds on parts. Anyone have any ideas? Please it sucks when my comp locks up(I turned off restart on lock up) every 15 minutes.

Zigy221

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I just downloaded HWMONITOR and something is running really hot. This is the system idle.

G5efJ.png

Temperatures that high usually indicate poor airflow someplace -- I'd check to make sure there's no obvious place where cables, cards, etc. are blocking a fan from circulating air as intended. And obviously, find out what tmpin1 is -- on most systems it's the CPU or the mainboard, but you need to know for sure. Then a beefed-up CPU fan, memory fan, northbridge cooler, etc. may help as long as you know which one to install.

There's a program called Everest that I've seen recommended a lot that will clear up which reading is which, no problem; it costs money, but you can probably use just the trial version to fix a single problem like this.

Other things I'd check:

1. Your RAM takes 1.65 volts but your mobo defaults to 1.5; underpowered RAM can cause crashes and freezes, so you may need to set the voltage manually if it's not auto-identifying correctly.

2. Make sure your mobo drivers (and drivers for all components, actually) are updated to Windows 7 versions. Since Windows 7 is pretty new, sometimes that gets overlooked. Don't know if it'd cause a complete system crash, but it's at least worth investigating. It could also be behind the video problem.

One more thought: Most of the time, if overheating alone is not going to cause the system to shut off and restart; if it's operating like it's supposed to, for obvious reasons, it'll shut off and stay off. There's probably an option in the BIOS that governs that -- check your manual and settings to verify that that's the case. If it's set to shut off and stay off due to overheating, then it probably points to something other than heat itself being the problem (although the heat would still be worth looking into separately).

Solution

Zigy221

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
Thank you for all your help. It turned out to be RAM I turned voltage to 1.65 and it became stable. Later I bought 1.5v ram and now everything is stable normally. Thank you for all your help.