Laptop display problems

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 20, 2004 2:28:40 AM

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptop,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hiya,

I just recently picked up a Hewlett Packard Omnibook XE3 for free.
It looks very nice. Unfortunately the display only stays on for anywhere
from 10 to 30 seconds. Even if immediately going into bios setup. If I
use an external monitor it does the same thing. When the LCD display
shuts down the external monitor goes off too. Any ideas anyone?

Scott

--
I am Dyslexia of Borg,
Your ass will be laminated.

"Reed Amerland" <raidmax@excite.com> wrote in message
news:D y7Bc.3873$HN5.461@lakeread06...
| Hiya,
|
| I just recently picked up a Hewlett Packard Omnibook XE3 for free.
| It looks very nice. Unfortunately the display only stays on for anywhere
| from 10 to 30 seconds. Even if immediately going into bios setup. If I
| use an external monitor it does the same thing. When the LCD display
| shuts down the external monitor goes off too. Any ideas anyone?

Just speculation of course, but if it is doing it even if entering bios, it
is likely a GPU issue.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 20, 2004 3:34:48 AM

Jason Cothran wrote:
> "Reed Amerland" <raidmax@excite.com> wrote in message
> news:D y7Bc.3873$HN5.461@lakeread06...
> | Hiya,
> |
> | I just recently picked up a Hewlett Packard Omnibook XE3 for free.
> | It looks very nice. Unfortunately the display only stays on for anywhere
> | from 10 to 30 seconds. Even if immediately going into bios setup. If I
> | use an external monitor it does the same thing. When the LCD display
> | shuts down the external monitor goes off too. Any ideas anyone?
> |

> Just speculation of course, but if it is doing it even if entering bios, it
> is likely a GPU issue.

Yeah,

Thats what I am afraid of. Damn thing looks like it just came out of
the box. Such a shame.

Scott

--
I am Dyslexia of Borg,
Your ass will be laminated.

Reed Amerland wrote:
> Jason Cothran wrote:
>> "Reed Amerland" <raidmax@excite.com> wrote in message
>> news:D y7Bc.3873$HN5.461@lakeread06...
>>> Hiya,
>>>
>>> I just recently picked up a Hewlett Packard Omnibook XE3 for
>>> free. It looks very nice. Unfortunately the display only stays on
>>> for anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds. Even if immediately going into
>>> bios setup. If I use an external monitor it does the same thing.
>>> When the LCD display shuts down the external monitor goes off too.
>>> Any ideas anyone?
>>>

>> Just speculation of course, but if it is doing it even if entering
>> bios, it is likely a GPU issue.
>>

> Yeah,
>
> Thats what I am afraid of. Damn thing looks like it just came out
> of the box. Such a shame.

Hmm. Check if warrantee is available for it. In the Boston area, there's
also a fabulous little laptop repair store on Mass. Ave near Porter Square,
that does very inexpensive, good quality repairs and has enough of a parts
bin to fix a lot of the weird problems.

The 10-30 seconds business sounds like a thermal problem. Does just the
display go out, or does the machine power off? And have you tried it with
the external power supply on and the battery removed?
!