Sign in with
Your question

Computer is doing very strange things...

Last response: in Overclocking
April 5, 2012 2:17:30 AM

SO, i posted under the graphics thread as well, but i think i need just about everyones advice/opinons. I will try to keep this as simple as i can.

I run a MSI r6950 TFII with an ASRock x58 extreme mobo. I tired to flash the BIOS to 6970, didnt work. checked GPU-z same amount of cores. everything seemed fine and my system was running fine with the modded BIOS. then when i powered up my computer the following time my card booted to 100% FANS AND the red led was on. I reset cmos and moved past this. NOW my computer really wont even boot into Windows 7. When i am able to get in i get BSOD with the 124 code, or a navy blue screen with vertical lines on it..I think the vid card is freaking my system out...at least i hope that is all...help? :pfff: 

April 5, 2012 2:46:17 AM

Your post is a bit confusing. You say that the BIOS flash to 6970 didn't work but then you say that the system was running fine with the modded BIOS....this confusion aside, is the power supply a potential problem that can be considered. The 6950 draws about 169 W under load but when modded will draw about 250 under load....a few things to try out

a) Try out AMDs recovery BIOS by flipping the switch on your card (see below)
http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcar...
b) Google a power supply calculator and make sure you have one that is sufficient
c) See if the power supply is on the fritz but trying a spare.

Funny things happen if the power supply has issues....this is a nice mod hope things work out for you.
a c 149 K Overclocking
April 5, 2012 2:47:04 AM

Bad flash, pretty much you got a dead card. However you can try flashing back to a 6950 bios.
Related resources
April 5, 2012 2:52:46 AM

EhDude said:
Your post is a bit confusing. You say that the BIOS flash to 6970 didn't work but then you say that the system was running fine with the modded BIOS....this confusion aside, is the power supply a potential problem that can be considered. The 6950 draws about 169 W under load but when modded will draw about 250 under load....a few things to try out

a) Try out AMDs recovery BIOS by flipping the switch on your card (see below)
http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcar...
b) Google a power supply calculator and make sure you have one that is sufficient
c) See if the power supply is on the fritz but trying a spare.

Funny things happen if the power supply has issues....this is a nice mod hope things work out for you.

It is a Corsair 750 power supply. just got it last month. I am fairly certain this is the issue. When i flashed the card it prompted me to restart and i did. but when i pulled up GPUZ the cores werent all shown for the 6970 line. I also dont have a switch. TF II models did not come with one.

I am thinking the card may be dead...it keeps freezing the system and cutting in and out...as in the monitor...im getting weird post codes that have nothing to do with the the system... good thing i was going to get a 680 anyways :bounce: 
April 5, 2012 4:00:25 AM

That sucks...unless you have some serious power draws that 750 should do the job unless it has some underlying issue. Sounds like you need a spare card to flash back the old BIOS. If you have a 680 in mind can always use that then flash back the 6950 to the old bios to make it work before selling it off as a functional card.

Good luck.
!