Sign in with
Your question
Solved

X58A-UD7 bent board?

Last response: in Motherboards
May 18, 2010 5:43:04 AM

Hi,

I need some advice from the forum, please.

I just received a replacement of my X58A-UD7 board from Amazon and along with some minor packaging damage, the board itself has a distinct curve to it - when I place it on the standoffs and hold it down at one end, I need to press the other end down about 1/4" to get it to contact the other standoffs. This sounds a bit extreme to me, but does anybody know if this might be within tolerance? I'll get Amazon to replace it again, if this is too far out-of-whack. I'm going to continue with the install anyway - what do I have to lose except more time? I'll let the forum know my results.

The system:

X58A-UD7 "potato chip"
Intel 980X Extreme CPU
Tuniq 120 Extreme CPU Cooler
12GB Mushkin @ 1600 (6 x 2GB)
Nvidia FX4800
160GB Intel SSD
2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
(4) 1TB WD Black Caviar HDDs
Corsair HX1000W PSU
Corsair Obsidian 800D ATX Case

(They must know about me. If something's called "Extreme" I have to go for it. I'm dumb that way.)

Thanks!

More about : x58a ud7 bent board

Best solution

a c 197 V Motherboard
May 18, 2010 5:56:29 AM

To be honest I would send it back. There should not be any bends in the board and even though it may work and seem fine there could be some small damage that is just waiting for the right time to make your life hell.
What happened to the first board? Hopefully Amazon is on the ball with their return policy. I generally buy from Newegg not only because they are usually the cheapest and have the quickest shipping but they are generally hassle free on any returns.
That is quite a system. I know I would be a little ticked off if that is the second time you have to RMA.
May 18, 2010 6:21:28 AM

Thanks for the reply, anort3.

It's been a saga.

The first board was a failure, but in subtle ways - it would work mostly, but fail in ways that made it look like all the rest of the components were at fault - at different times I had bad memory sticks, a bad video card and even a bad CPU (this last because of outdated BIOS.) Gigabyte's phone tech support worked well for me (don't try email! - I got exactly NO response.) After quite a bit of testing (with their tech on the phone) they finally said I needed to replace the board. It was going to be a wait for Amazon to send a replacement so I bought an EX58-UD5 to at least get me up-and-running while I waited for Amazon. Everything worked - no memory problems, no video card problems - it was all the mobo.

This time I'm going to have Amazon send me a refund. I like working with them and I find their customer support is the best and impossible to beat - no questions asked, you get your money back or a replacement is sent out immediately and the return part can be sent back to them in your time frame (in other words, no down time.) Unfortunately Amazon's treatment of their products (shipping and handling) can be brutal. The first i7 980X CPU (a $1,050.00 item) arrived in an undamaged corrugated shipping carton but inside the Intel packaging looked like it had fallen inside an engine bay - it was crushed from two directions and had what looked like radiator hose wear marks, as if it had spent the better part of the trip there in that engine bay! How did they do this? I took pictures. I didn't even bother trying to install it and sent it right back. The new chip arrived in a much better box (but hardly as nice as if I'd bought it from an Intel store.)

Another advantage with Amazon is that shipping is almost free and in California there's no sales tax - for the entire system I saved almost $600 just in tax.

I bought my video card (FX4800) from Newegg and while they are very responsive what I don't like is that for these cards there is no refund policy - only replacement in kind. Other than that I do like Newegg. Let's see how their motherboards look.

Sorry for the long answer, but I hope this can help you or someone in the forum.

Thanks!
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 197 V Motherboard
May 18, 2010 6:32:07 AM

Quote:
The first i7 980X CPU (a $1,050.00 item) arrived in an undamaged corrugated shipping carton but inside the Intel packaging looked like it had fallen inside an engine bay - it was crushed from two directions and had what looked like radiator hose wear marks, as if it had spent the better part of the trip there in that engine bay!

LOL .........well not really from your prospective im sure but just wow. All I can say is I hope you have better luck soon. That should be quite a beast when it finally runs.
m
l
May 18, 2010 6:44:28 AM

Thanks anort3,

No, LOL from my perspective too. There's nothing going on here that keeps me down for long. It's part of the game - I'm reaching for the extremes and along with that goes risk. So I smile when I can and try to enjoy the ride. As long as I don't blow myself up, it's a good day. In my free time I build race cars and I really COULD blow myself up...
m
l
May 20, 2010 12:51:52 AM

The finale of all this was that I decided to trust Amazon one more time and the third time really was the charm. The packaging is undamaged, the board is flat, the system started up right away and seems to be just what I was hoping for. In fact, it's a bit anti-climactic (and really, isn't that exactly what we want?)

If you want any more details, please see the new thread (Gigabyte Success!)

Thanks again, anort3 for your replies.

Cheers!
m
l
May 20, 2010 12:52:32 AM

Best answer selected by FlashBimmer.
m
l
!