Help with i5 750 overclock

segadawg

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
I'm very much a noob when it comes to overclocking. I'm trying to do a slight overclock on my i5 750 with Asus Maximus III Formula mobo. I want it at 3.6 ghz, which I have achieved, but the DRAM Timings has changed. The RAM is supposed to run at 9-9-9-24 according to spec. The way I have it overclocked, it runs at 9-10-10-27 at 1440MHz (specced at 1600MHz). Is this a problem? The settings I'm using are as follows.

BCLK = 180
CPU Mult = 20
Turbo disabled
C1E Enabled
EIST Enabled
QPI Auto
Load Line Calibration Disabled
CPU voltage 1.225
DRAM Voltage 1.545
PLL 1.81

I have it working and it seems to be stable at the moment, but I was just curious about this. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm definitely open to any. :bounce: Thanks in advance

Edit: Prime 95 gave me errors almost immediately after starting it up again. I googled the error and it appears to be an issue with Memory. I reset bios to defaults and ran again without that error. I'm definitely confused now, because this configuration worked earlier...

Solution
Enable turbo and manually set the ram timings. What is your cooler and board? Cheap boards don't oc that well compared to others and low end or stock coolers make overclocking much more a pain. I got the 760 but yours only needs higher volts though.
Enable turbo and manually set the ram timings. What is your cooler and board? Cheap boards don't oc that well compared to others and low end or stock coolers make overclocking much more a pain. I got the 760 but yours only needs higher volts though.

Solution

segadawg

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Here's the cooler board and RAM.

Hyper 212+ CPU Cooler
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
ASUS Maximus III Formula LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard