Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard and hard drives

Last response: in Motherboards
May 18, 2010 8:37:17 AM

I have a system that I built in March 2009. It consists of:

Gigabyte x58 extreme mobo; i7 940; 6gb corsair ddr ram; ati 5770 graphics; 3 x 1tb wd FAL hdd's; x-fi; card reader; 2 x dvd-rw

about a two months ago i noticed the pc was booting really slowly, so i had a sort out of various items, backed everything up and reformatted the system and started again. plus the fact i was also having no joy in running fallout 3 so a format seemed the only option to get it working.

about a month ago i noticed boot was really slow - taking ages just to get to the scrolling bar across the screen. then the hdd started crashing in weird places, then the hard drives wouldn't recognise on the mobo, so i changed the sata port the hard was connected on and it worked fine for while.

Then I ran chkdsk via "DOS" on boot up and the system reported around 10% of the 1tb master hard drive was full of bad sectors. it ran fine for a couple of days then died completely.

I ordered a brand new 500gb wd aaks hdd, plugged it in this morning and no detection at all. nor will my other2 1tbs get recognised. my dvd-rw detect but in none of ports on the mb will my hdd's recognise.

I unplugged all the hdd's except for the new one and still no detection. I am assuming either a bios problem - i am running the F12 version or the sata hard drive controller on the mobo has died.

Help.
a c 295 V Motherboard
May 18, 2010 2:32:36 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

1- U can see all the drives (HD and DVDs) in the BIOS?
2- If ur mobo still have warranty RMA it.
a c 177 V Motherboard
May 18, 2010 3:09:55 PM

Double-check that your CMOS hasn't been 'corrupted', and that the pertinent 'SATA' items on the "Integrated Peripherals" page of the BIOS are still set to 'enabled', as well as the correct mode. Assuming this all looks good, do the "Load Optimized Defaults", then an <F10> to save, exit, and reboot; see if your drive has 're-appeared'? If not, try this: Go into the BIOS and set whichever port you are interested in to "IDE/PATA" mode; for the ICH, it's "SATA RAID/AHCI Mode" to "Disabled"; for the jMicron (GSATA) ports, it's "Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode" to "IDE"; again, an <F10> to save, exit, and reboot; this time, enter the BIOS' "Standard CMOS Features" page, and see what drives you have there; for each one detected (and you're smart to be trying it with just the 'problem child' connected!), select the drive and try the "IDE Auto-Detection" feature (p56 of your manual...) - see if it 'returns' anything...
Related resources
May 18, 2010 5:30:28 PM

saint19 said:
Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

1- U can see all the drives (HD and DVDs) in the BIOS?
2- If ur mobo still have warranty RMA it.

Hi,

I can only see DVD's - no hard drives.

How long is the warranty on the mobo?

Ashley
May 18, 2010 5:33:52 PM

Hi,

I have tried what u suggested - to no avail.

none of the hard drives are detectable only the dvd's. i have reflashed the bios back to F10 to see if that helped. again no joy.

Ashley

bilbat said:
Double-check that your CMOS hasn't been 'corrupted', and that the pertinent 'SATA' items on the "Integrated Peripherals" page of the BIOS are still set to 'enabled', as well as the correct mode. Assuming this all looks good, do the "Load Optimized Defaults", then an <F10> to save, exit, and reboot; see if your drive has 're-appeared'? If not, try this: Go into the BIOS and set whichever port you are interested in to "IDE/PATA" mode; for the ICH, it's "SATA RAID/AHCI Mode" to "Disabled"; for the jMicron (GSATA) ports, it's "Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode" to "IDE"; again, an <F10> to save, exit, and reboot; this time, enter the BIOS' "Standard CMOS Features" page, and see what drives you have there; for each one detected (and you're smart to be trying it with just the 'problem child' connected!), select the drive and try the "IDE Auto-Detection" feature (p56 of your manual...) - see if it 'returns' anything...

a c 295 V Motherboard
May 18, 2010 6:05:49 PM

futsysmids said:
Hi,

I can only see DVD's - no hard drives.

How long is the warranty on the mobo?

Ashley

If u bought the mobo from newegg.com, the warranty says that have 3 years.
a c 177 V Motherboard
May 18, 2010 9:16:28 PM

...just, by chance, are all your HDs fed off a single SATA-plugged power cable, and your DVD off, maybe, a MOLEX, or MOLEX-to-SATA adapter?
May 19, 2010 8:56:59 AM

Thanks for the pointer.

My hard drives are fed of one power to sata lead. the dvd-rw's are on a separate power to sata lead as the dvd-rw's are also sata. the psu is a coolermaster modular psu, so i only use the cables i need.

Anyway, I checked what you said last night and I changed the slot that the power lead plugs into on the psu and everything worked.

Which leaves me even more confused. does this mean that the psu is failing or is it the cable.

regards

Ashley

bilbat said:
...just, by chance, are all your HDs fed off a single SATA-plugged power cable, and your DVD off, maybe, a MOLEX, or MOLEX-to-SATA adapter?

a c 177 V Motherboard
May 19, 2010 11:37:01 AM

Could be a dead rail, or could be just a 'hinky' plug-pin... This is both the best part, and the worst part of modulars (mind you, since I dicovered 'em, and how tidy & convenient they make routing - I'd never go back!); if you look at a bunch of reviews at jonnyGURU, you'll find their most common point of failure are the modular connections to the supply itself :??: 

Do you have access to a multimeter?
May 19, 2010 8:18:24 PM

I have a five warranty on the psu, so I have contacted coolermaster about replacing the psu along with new cables.

However, i was thinking - the old master hdd is a WD FAL 1TB also with a 5 year warranty - which is also going back to WD as this drive has according to chkdsk got 85GB worth of bad sectors on it.

Could the reason that this drive has so many bad sectors be down to the fact that the power has been internittently failing prior to completely failing on this rail?

Just a thought.

Ashley

bilbat said:
Could be a dead rail, or could be just a 'hinky' plug-pin... This is both the best part, and the worst part of modulars (mind you, since I dicovered 'em, and how tidy & convenient they make routing - I'd never go back!); if you look at a bunch of reviews at jonnyGURU, you'll find their most common point of failure are the modular connections to the supply itself :??: 

Do you have access to a multimeter?
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/3562/0165.jpg

a c 177 V Motherboard
May 23, 2010 2:42:18 AM

Quote:
Could the reason that this drive has so many bad sectors be down to the fact that the power has been internittently failing prior to completely failing on this rail?

Entirely possible! It may be that you've had a pin going 'intermittently' bad (or a rail, for that matter, but they'll usually 'fold back', and shut down - always the possibility, though, that it's 'lost a cap' and has been getting 'noisy' - letting 'line harmonics' through :cry:  ...) and 'pulling power' while in operation, which would definitely account for bad sectors... The first thing I'd try (after backing up, of course!), is to download one of the DOS versions (floppy or CD) of WD's DataLifeguard utilities, and run the 'extended' diagnostic, to see if she'll recover the sectors; then, assuming the drive is actually OK, do the 'write zeros', followed by re-partitioning...

If the drive is ruined, I can't think of a better vendor to deal with [:fixitbil:1] I recently 'lost' an RE3 out of a RAID1; took me about a hundred seconds to: go to their site, d/l a test to confirm drive was actually bad, check that serial number was in warranty; set up a 'credit card guaranteed' cross-ship - two mornings later, Fedex guy put the new drive on my porch! An hour and a half of 'array rebuild', and back in business [:bilbat:5] !! Now, at the other end of the 'RMA road-kill spectrum', I had a Zalman PSU go, took three days just to set up the cross-ship, and system was down for thirty-one days! - "dog ate my homework!" - "guys in shipping lost the paperwork... :fou: 

Sorry I missed your last post - been 'fiddling' a lot with the new memory posts...
!