AMD Phenom X4 955 CPU
HIS HD 5670 video
ACER LCD H233H Monitor
8 MB Corsair Dominator PC-8500 DDR2 RAM,
WD 2 TB SATA HDD
WD 2 TB SATA HDD
OCZ GameXtstream 1010W PSU
LIAN LI A80 Armoursuit Case

Objective: Configure drives as a Raid array to speed up HDD performance.

Successfully configured a RAID on the GSATA controller. When I tried to reboot, the Gigabyte "XPRESS RECOVERY2" stopped the boot and told me the "IDE Drive was missing or had no free partitions". The only way to get out was power off and back on or a reboot after the XPRESSRECOVERY2 failed. After restart, the RAID utility reported RAID as failed and said something like not enough drive for RAID. I could reestablish the RAID using the RAID utility but the result was repeated.

Being new to RAID I don't understand whats happening. Do I need an IDE drive connected and configured before I can use RAID on my Gigabyte MBO? Sent question to Gigabyte support but did not receive a response. Any education would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
David

More about : raid gigabyte mbo

Best solution

a b G Storage
October 10, 2011 3:38:13 PM

Did you set up the raid array in the bios itself first? I have only done raid on Intel boards and on those you must go into the bios and set the sata 0 and 1 as raid and then select raid 0. Then when you reboot the bios treats it like 1 HD. You should then get the default no operating system error. then your ready to install windows.

You might want to just disable the IDE or Pata channels in the bios altogether. It will free up an IRQ and might make trouble shooting a little easier.

On a side note the WD drives have a very aggressive timeout protocol. This makes raid on them a little difficult. If the drive does not respond right away the board will often mark the drive as failed and drop it from the array. WD charges an extra couple of bucks for thier raid edition HDs. This is a rip off because they are the same drives with only a more relaxed timming.
October 10, 2011 10:54:02 PM

Set RAID up in the BIOS and disabled the IDE controller, also in the BIOS.

From the reading I've been doing it doesn't seem worth it. My drives are definately the slowest component in the system but the RAID technology has so many puts and takes a major improvement is unlikely.

Thanks for your help. I appreciated it.

David
m
l
Related resources
October 10, 2011 10:54:38 PM

Best answer selected by warnockdavid_92.
m
l
!