Difference between intel core i3 processor & core 2 duo

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

does anyone know the difference between the intel core i3 processor and the intel core 2 duo processor..

if had to choose which one would it be...

thanks

sunilzishan

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
dont really knw wat you'r askin for...
to put it simply, if you are buying a complete new machine then go for i3, if its just the processor then of course core 2 duo would be a logical choice.

the difference?
i3
-32nm
-integrated graphics
-PCI-e 2.0 controller, couple of em come with 2X8 along with da 1X16 support
-2channel integrated memory controller
-hyper threading

core 2 duo
-65,45nm (needs more power n generates more heat)
-of course no concept of integrated graphics
-no PCI-E controller
-no memory controller
-no HT

there's a lot more.. but i think this tells enough to decide whether you should go for an i3 or core 2 duo... i3 is a much more refined and mature architecture and i love what Intel is offering.. if only they could do something about the naming scheme :S

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Both are great processors but the only real make or break is the fact that 775 socket is dead. Besides that, my E8500 can keep up once overclocked so there is not a HUGE advantage for the i3.

fawxfyre

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Thank you!! I'm buying a new computer soon, (since my current one is only a 40 gb HD).....and just heard about the new i3, i5 & i7 processors. I had already decided to go with the core i3, and you just sealed that decision! Have a great day!!

KD10

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
Hi,

I am looking for a processor and Motherboard for my old desktop. Please let me know which one will be the apt choice?

I heard that I3 processors are better than Core 2 Duo. Is that correct?

Please also suggest me some motherboard model. Its very urgent.

G

yes i3 is less power consuming but still defend on the spec of the computer.. if ur looking for gaming specs computer u dont need that less power consuming because for sure you will plug your device when youre at home..

G

does anyone know the difference between the intel core i3 processor and the intel core 2 duo processor..

if had to choose which one would it be...

thanks

still defend on the specs and the price.. doesnt mean expensive is better.. *** that.. hehehe mostly on my own observation core i3, i5 & i7 has a less power consuming but like what i said still defend on what ur looking.. yesterday I was in Plug-ins Dubai Festival City and i saw this ASUS K50 ID with 1gb nvidia, 4gbr3, 500hdd, 2yrs global with promotion belkin modem router price 2,999.00 and there is toshiba, lenovo etc with same specs but i3 above price is 3599 and above... so i choose ASUS K50 ID because of the specs and the price..

G

yes youre right regarding on youre survey.. i3 has less power consuming.. it has more battery life but all laptops with I3 and above their using six cells battery? and not same of the core 2..its using only 3cells regarding integrated graphics if ur on to gaming u dont need integrated .

Everyone is making this more complicated than it has to be.

The I3 is just an improved core 2 duo. Same basic execution core with improvements like on die memory controller, hyperthreading, and a die shrink among a few others. It also uses a new motherboard socket.

The result of these changes are more speed and less power usage.

If your looking to purchase, the I3 is the better choice for a new build.

nealayush

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
n what about i5 processer.....actually the laptop is for my home use nothing so big task...so which processer i must buy

G

Hi I'm looking at buying a new laptop and I've been trying to decide between a core duo and an i3.

I don't really do anything too demanding with my laptop, just general internet browsing, a bit of movie maker and a little bit of gaming but not loads. I know the i3 is the better of the two choices but I can get a laptop with a core duo for nearly £100 cheaper than with an i3.

My question: is it worth spending the extra cash and getting the newer and more impressive i3 or am I just wasting money for what I use my laptop for?

Status
Not open for further replies.