Cpu temps (amd phenom II x4 965)

PhunnyJesta

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
I recently got an Artic Cooling Freezer A30 for my phenom II x4 965 and I am seeing a 15-20C cooler difference in idle temps (runs around 30C) but on full load it about the same as the stock heatsink and fan on full load. I could get stable 4Ghz running at 65C with prime95 on the stock cooling but with the new cooling and same overclock I am still getting to 65C. I cleaned and reapplied the thermal paste 3 times using the small dot, 3 thin lines, and X methods but not much difference at all. I was wondering if the bad temps could be caused by just happening to get a bad egg from the batch of cpus.

My rig:
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Mobo
AMD Phenom II x4 965
4x2GB DDR3 1066 OC to 1333
240GB Corsair Force GT SSD
1TB Samsung HDD
AMD Radeon HD 6850
Corsair 500W PSU
Antec Lanboy Air Case

einterlan

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
what if the "Artic Cooling Freezer A30" its the same performance than the stock cooling (original)? It has just 1 cooler and some pipes.

Or / And you can try the Warranty just in case! Still 65ºC isnt BAD DEAL taking in mind its 4,0Ghz OC (very good speed).

nagol567

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
i have a pricey heatsink and am running a 955 (same processor) at 4.0 ghz 1.5v and i also have temps around 65C. its the heatsink not the processor. look at something like a tuniq 120 extreme or a corsair h100 if you want better temps.

PhunnyJesta

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
re: nagol567-
I was looking at getting the h100, but I was happy with 4ghz stable and just wanted to stay a bit more clear from that 70C BSOD so i bought the A30 which only seems to be effective at idle temps which means jack haha

re: einterlan-
isnt "any" aftermarket heatsink essentially better then stock (excluding all those brands u know will be crap lol)

re: Wisecracker-
that would make it 4 times then, i changed the way i placed the thermal paste 3 times after I placed it first via instructions

I've never used the cooler but in reviews I've seen the "...put a small line of the supplied Thermal Compound on each pipe... " as a big part of their thermal efficiency.

Your GA-990FXA-UD3 could be holding you back a bit if it is a Rev1 board. They tend to over-volt a bit and drive temps up a little. This was fixed in the next revision with a re-enabled LLC. If you can't drop back the temps with changes in voltage and speed, somethin' just ain't right.

If you want to run cooler try dropping your volts and clock speed. You've got plenty of jam to push your video.

You should also verify your DualBIOS is configured properly -- the backup BIOS should be the same as the Main BIOS

I didn't read that in the manual, either :lol: