Sign in with
Your question

BAD SECTORS

Last response: in Storage
October 10, 2011 4:28:38 PM

Hello
is it possible that using two different operating systems (win 7 and ubuntu 11.04) can also create bad sectors on hard drive ??

More about : bad sectors

a b G Storage
October 10, 2011 5:27:27 PM

Software does not cause hardware problems.
m
l
November 25, 2011 6:21:08 AM

@Anonymous Uh, yes it does. To the original poster, I recently installed Salix as a dual boot aside Windows. In the installation process it asked where I wanted LILO, the bootloader to go. I said to put it on the MBR on the 1st partition. So that it did however it rewrote the number of sectors to be more than the cylinder allowed which caused bad sectors. And so my Windows would attempt to boot but once inside it assumed I had installed an invalid copy of Vista and would not let me proceed but just rebooted the PC. Even CHKDSK could not repair the problem so I deleted all the partitions except threcovery reserved one and freshly installed Vista and everything is fine. While Ubuntu uses GRUB you are probaby safe but for more technical Linux installations it can happen.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
November 25, 2011 11:36:09 AM

Quote:
In the installation process it asked where I wanted LILO, the bootloader to go. I said to put it on the MBR on the 1st partition. So that it did however it rewrote the number of sectors to be more than the cylinder allowed which caused bad sectors.

I stand by my statement Software does not cause hardware problems.

if your software thinks you have a 120GB hard drive and you realy have a 100 GB drive Yes you will get a message that you have bad sectors... those will be the ones that dont realy exist.

since deleting your partitions and doing fresh installs is that same hard drive working fine?
m
l
November 25, 2011 12:20:19 PM

Yes, I will agree with your overage in HDD space being correct, that is is the total of all your partitions on the hard drive is 100 GB. But what I did and many others do, especially dual booting Windows and Linux, we sliced up the hard drive into mini hard drives (aka partitions). Now with me, I took a 500 GB hard drive, that was originally just two partitions that Windows consumed both of and created two more partitions totalling four, which is the max amount of primary partitions. One of those partitions though I changed to extended and then you can create logical partitions within the one extended one, and you can install linux or whatever data on the logical ones. I had backed up Windows before doing all the partitioning with the Acronis backup program, and that program created a new .tib backup file and I had to store that somewhere so I put it on one of the logical partitions. Later on, okay, I was in Linux and decided I wanted to copy/cut that .tib file from that partition and just use the remaining space on the Windows primary partition to put it into. I did not pay close attention and understimated how much space was left on the Windows partition. There was like 47 GB on there and the .tib file was 50 GB so once the copying proceeded and it filled up and maxed out the available space, that basically corrupted the Windows partition, more particular the bootable partition with the MBR too, which is the 1st partition of the two Windows ones. So not only did I lost Windows but the .tib was then gone too so I had no more Windows. Linux ran fine on its partition but I needed Windows for college work since I am an IT major, so I was determined to get any version of Windows back on there. But I tried Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP and several completely different .iso dvds of them as well and none would install Windows but gave me errors when trying to install it saying "Windows cannot find the setup files neccesary to install...please run CHKDSK (which I did several times but would say it could not check that disk as it was write-only) plus it would finish off saying some error code like 1x00008101 or something. So yeah, the hard drive was then corrupted, which is indeed hardware that had been hurt by software. Wouldn't you agree now then?
m
l
September 11, 2012 1:02:39 PM

shobhitgupta1245 said:
Hello
is it possible that using two different operating systems (win 7 and ubuntu 11.04) can also create bad sectors on hard drive ??

as soon as possible repair bad blocks. probably these bad blocks are related to Win drive. check it before you loose data. you can use this site for getting more information about bad blocks.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/37659/the-beginners-guid...
m
l
!