Sign in with
Your question

Non-raid disk should be read as raid

Last response: in Storage
October 10, 2011 5:16:29 PM

I have two 500GB HDDs in raid 0. They've always been in raid 0 and have always worked until now. The problem is that when I boot up, one disk gets read as "non-raid disk" and it won't boot up the operating system. I've tried a bunch of different things but I can't figure out what it is. Does anyone know what this problem means/ is? Any help appreciated!

More about : raid disk read raid

a c 342 G Storage
October 11, 2011 12:20:05 AM

It is possible the one HDD unit has failed in such a way that the data in the Partition Table that identifies it is corrupted (or maybe the entire HDD is not readable), so the RAID management software cannot recognize it as a legitimate RAID array member. So it tells you it is non-RAID.

I have no experience trying to alter corrupted data bits on a RAID0 array member. Maybe someone else around here can advise. But you may simply have to accept that your RAID array is broken and all its data is lost. Then you MIGHT be able to break the array back to individual HDD's, try to repair each until it is OK, then re-create a new RAID0 array. OR, you may have to replace the faulty HDD if it can't be repaired.
m
l
October 11, 2011 9:20:33 PM

Paperdoc said:
It is possible the one HDD unit has failed in such a way that the data in the Partition Table that identifies it is corrupted (or maybe the entire HDD is not readable), so the RAID management software cannot recognize it as a legitimate RAID array member. So it tells you it is non-RAID.

I have no experience trying to alter corrupted data bits on a RAID0 array member. Maybe someone else around here can advise. But you may simply have to accept that your RAID array is broken and all its data is lost. Then you MIGHT be able to break the array back to individual HDD's, try to repair each until it is OK, then re-create a new RAID0 array. OR, you may have to replace the faulty HDD if it can't be repaired.

I just decided to partition the drives and see that if I can put them back into raid 0 which it worked fortunately. Thank you for your suggestion though. I did try most of what you had said, but it just said it was corrupted so I have no idea what went wrong with it. Possible malfunction, but otherwise I don't know. Thanks again though!
m
l
!