templetonpeck

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I recently replaced my stock cooler (1156 socket) with a Thermaltake Silent 1156 cooler.

The stock fan was alright for normal tasks (not too loud), but got really loud for gaming. I had recently cleaned it too and that didn't seem to help things any.

Anyways, I was looking around for an inexpensive replacement, since I was mostly looking for something to quiet things down.

I grabbed the Thermaltake Silent 1156 on the cheap after looking at some reviews online. It was supposed to be "very quiet".

It isn't. It's just as loud as the stock fan was, if not louder, except for when I get in a game. Then it actually is pretty good. It seems to get quieter as it speeds up more, if that makes any sense.

The fan is supposed to be 800-1700 RPM, but it always sits at about 1250-1300 RPM, unless I'm in game. At that speed it emits more noise than any other fan in my case.

Long story short I'm looking for some way to quiet it, or replace it with something that is quieter.

Could I replace the fan on the Thermaltake with one of these? http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=28452

Would that be a good option, or is there another better option that is relatively inexpensive?

Temperature wise the Thermaltake did bring temps down a fair bit over the stock fan, so that wasn't a problem, just the noise.