Sign in with
Your question

Install Windows XP over Windows 7 netbook with external CD

Last response: in Windows XP
May 15, 2012 3:13:36 PM

:cry:  Is it even possible? This is a very standard netbook with Intel and 1G RAM, Windows 7 starter. I know by experience XP works much better on this hardware, even compared to the next W7 version. I can experiment test, but (1) I worry the external USB CD drive will not be recognized nor suitable for reinstalling the OS. Just new and the thing is as sluggish as a 286 with 64K RAM. Then (2) I have found no (legal) copy of XP OS in several stores! I remember some discussion about (3) using some USB stick OS as intermediate OS for download install the final OS, but I lost track of it. Anyone has had experience in this transition? Furthermore I cannot play some games in W7, so I definitely need XP. (Hey, I think I know this face: :whistle:  )
a b $ Windows 7
May 16, 2012 7:41:10 AM

syntotic said:
:cry:  Is it even possible? This is a very standard netbook with Intel and 1G RAM, Windows 7 starter. I know by experience XP works much better on this hardware, even compared to the next W7 version. I can experiment test, but (1) I worry the external USB CD drive will not be recognized nor suitable for reinstalling the OS. Just new and the thing is as sluggish as a 286 with 64K RAM. Then (2) I have found no (legal) copy of XP OS in several stores! I remember some discussion about (3) using some USB stick OS as intermediate OS for download install the final OS, but I lost track of it. Anyone has had experience in this transition? Furthermore I cannot play some games in W7, so I definitely need XP. (Hey, I think I know this face: :whistle:  )

Have you considered Win7 built in XP Compatibility Mode ?
http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&p=win7+xp+comp...
May 24, 2012 7:20:59 PM

ksiemb said:
Have you considered Win7 built in XP Compatibility Mode ?
http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&p=win7+xp+comp...

Yes! Of course. It is a sore point, I d rather have an XP AO, but the market is hiding them. Price seems to be as much as purchasing a new netbook. Whole issue stinks. The problem of installation over/from Win7 remains. Another thread offers a method, but the software is NOT DOWNLOADING ANYMORE. Blocked Domain I get.
!