Please help with power supply diagnosis

wadp1

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Dell Demension 2300--When I turn on the power, the fans run and the hard drive activitiy light flickers, but the power light is off and the machine does not boot. The display remains absolutely black--no sign of life.
I have tested the power supply with a multitester and every output of every contact seems to be correct.
Where do I go from here? Thanks!

wadp1

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Hey, thanks for the suggestion and info.! I guess I should have mentioned in my original post that the monitor works perfectly, as does the hard drive, so that narrows it down some. thanks again.

joe1965

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Sounds like the BIOS is Dead. I would junk the system. That system really is not worth fixing. The thing about DELL is the componets they use are not the best. I have owned a few DELL products in the past the Desktops by DELL have never made it to 3 years without dying. The Laptops I've had have been good. I have one that is 8 years old and it still works great.

wadp1

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Thank you for your response--never thought of that! We bought a new Dell desktop at the office about 4 yrs. ago, and it had to have a new motherboard in the first month! On the other hand, I have an Optiplex GX260 at home that still runs like a champ!