First Custom Build, advice please

pagelc

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Need advice on whether this is a good build. Have left GPU out on purpose as I've been looking for two weeks and cannot find any 5800 cards online in stock. So not sure if I should get a 5770 or 4890x2, pls advise. Also I went with the AsRock mobo based on reviews and $, but realize most people go ASUS, as a noob overclocker am I digging myself a hole there as far as getting OC advice?

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: this week BUDGET RANGE: 1500 Before Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, home video editing, watching movies occas.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: none

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA PARTS PREFERENCES: none

OVERCLOCKING: Yes but not extreme, CPU @ 3.6GHz SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe but not right away if I can find a Radeon 5850

MONITOR RESOLUTION: whatever is realistic with 23”monitor with good FPS

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Still need GPU, mouse and keyboard. What else am I missing. Also, I want a good looking case and will probably add a SSD for OS down the road so any advice on 2.5" drive compatability appreciated
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel core i7 920 2.66 Ghz
windows 7 home premium 64-bit system builder
SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223C
Cooler master RC690 case
WD Caviar Black 750GB
OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Asrock x58 extreme
CORSAIR CMPSU-750HX 750W
LG W2353V-PF Black 23" 2ms
Zalman CNPS10x quiet

Solution
Your GPU selection is somewhat of a personal choice. You can Crossfire the 4890's and demolish games but you won't have DX 11 for future releases. You could wait for the 5800's to be in stock readily but who knows when that will be? I've decided to Crossfire 5770's as they bench on par with a single 5870 and they are much easier to find. I had to get my 5770 off of Amazon since they are also getting scarce but much easier to get a hold of than a 5800 series. Since I went through Amazon I had to pay an extra $20 for tax and shipping [:bohleyk:7]

The AsRock Extreme is reviewed very well. You shouldn't have more trouble figuring out OCing than any other OCing board. Just read up on the i7 OC guides on the web and you should be gold.

I...

BohleyK

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Your GPU selection is somewhat of a personal choice. You can Crossfire the 4890's and demolish games but you won't have DX 11 for future releases. You could wait for the 5800's to be in stock readily but who knows when that will be? I've decided to Crossfire 5770's as they bench on par with a single 5870 and they are much easier to find. I had to get my 5770 off of Amazon since they are also getting scarce but much easier to get a hold of than a 5800 series. Since I went through Amazon I had to pay an extra $20 for tax and shipping [:bohleyk:7]

The AsRock Extreme is reviewed very well. You shouldn't have more trouble figuring out OCing than any other OCing board. Just read up on the i7 OC guides on the web and you should be gold.

I see no problems with that build. Well done!

Solution