My computer cpu is running hot

normancat

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Hay, my computer runs pretty hot, infact it will often cut out reaching trmperatures of 90c plus. I currently run a duel core amd on a fairly standered mother board. I was considering changing the fan to a better one but was struggling to get the fan to come away from the motherboard having undone brackets etc. i dont want to force it for fear of damaging the system. The cooling fins are pretty dirt with dust so this could be a factor but i did wander if I needed a better connection betwwen chip and fan surface. Any thoughts welcome.

Remove the heatsink. Unclip the single clip that attaches the heatsink to the motherboard. It is a metal clip that goes through the middle of the heatsink and is below the fan. Once it is unclipped, then the only thing keeping it on is the thermal compound. If the CPU is very old, it could be sticking to it a bit. Twist the heatsink to try to loosen it.
Once it is off, clean all dust off of it. Then use isopropyl alcohol to gently clean the compound off both the heatsink and the top of the CPU. Reapply new compound. reseat the heatsink and make sure there is a fan on top of it.
Blow all dust out of your case and ensure there is at least one fan blowing air out of the case.

I might be able to help more if you tell me how old the computer is and the model of the processor.
90C is also very hot. I hope you didn't fry your CPU.

Dust and dirt is a major factor. They act as insulators, keeping the heat in and preventing proper heat transfer to the air. It can make the difference between 50C on load and 90C on idle.

normancat

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Thank you mr matrix. Your reply was both comprehensive and helpful. You ask about the make etc of MB and Chip. The MB is a Gigabyte S Series (GA - M57SLI-S$) and was purchased 12 moths ago. The chip is a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 3.1GHz Socket AM2 1MB L2 (2x512KB) Cache Retail Boxed Processor. this was also purchased 12months ago. Thank you for your advice about removing the fan. I was worried about how hard to twist but it seems its I need to be gentle but firm!! Any further thoughts welcome and once again Thank you.

normancat

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010