Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Phenom II x4 955 40 degrees idle (Hyper 212+)

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
April 6, 2012 12:26:03 AM

Hello there,

I have the an AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE clocked at 4.0 Ghz at 1.425 volts with a Corsair 400r Case (7 fans) and a Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus cooler but the problem is I am getting 40 degrees idle and 59 degrees full load (running intel burn test and Linx).

I mean 40 degrees and 59 degrees is too much considering that I have a Hyper 212 plus cooler with AS5 thermal paste applied 7 to 8 months ago.

Is there something wrong with it or what. Should I change the cooler or add more fans to it?
April 6, 2012 1:26:42 AM

Thats a pretty hefty overclock on that cpu. I had a 965be at stock speed with stock heatsink and fan, that would run at 34 idle and 60 at 100% load, so your temps dont seem too bad. How warm is the room the pc is in? Its pretty hard to get the idle temp below about 10 degrees above ambient room temp
m
0
l
April 6, 2012 1:54:31 AM

GI_JONES said:
Thats a pretty hefty overclock on that cpu. I had a 965be at stock speed with stock heatsink and fan, that would run at 34 idle and 60 at 100% load, so your temps dont seem too bad. How warm is the room the pc is in? Its pretty hard to get the idle temp below about 10 degrees above ambient room temp



My room temps are 24 degrees celcius. and I think that 40 degrees idle is too much for a Hyper 212 plus cooler
m
0
l
Related resources
April 6, 2012 2:43:00 AM

what is the idle temp at stock speed? That does seem a bit warm, but then again that cpu is generating a lot of heat at 4Ghz. Has it run cooler in the past at that speed? I dont think another fan is going to do anything, considering you already have 7. How are the fans set up? Intake on the front, bottom and side, exhaust in the back and top? Have you checked for crud buildup on the heatsink?
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
April 6, 2012 2:52:17 AM

you clocked the cpu dont forget was made to work at 3.2ghz and you raise up the voltage so that create more heat in the cpu what are your temp at factory speed and voltage with the 212 cooler
m
0
l
April 6, 2012 8:24:16 AM

GI_JONES said:
what is the idle temp at stock speed? That does seem a bit warm, but then again that cpu is generating a lot of heat at 4Ghz. Has it run cooler in the past at that speed? I dont think another fan is going to do anything, considering you already have 7. How are the fans set up? Intake on the front, bottom and side, exhaust in the back and top? Have you checked for crud buildup on the heatsink?



At idle temps at stock speed are 35 degrees. It has run cooler at 4ghz (1.425 volts) just before a month or two around 32 to 35 degrees idle and 47 to 51 degrees full load. I don't know all of a sudden the temps have gone high. I have also changed the case this month from Cooler master 430 to a Corsair carbide 400r with neat cable management.

I have 5 intakes and 2 exhausts

Intakes:

3 at the front (can add 1 more)
1 at the bottom
1 at the side panel

but all the intakes are normal quality fans (3 corsair stock fans and 2 coolermaster R4 fans 44.7 CFM)

Exhausts:

1 rear (Scythe Slip Stream 110 CFM)
1 top (cooler master R4 stupid fan 44.7CFM)

I can add another side panel fan and another top fan.

Is the setup allright or should I get high CFM fans and should I change the cooler from the Hyper 212 to something different. I reseated the cooler using Arctic Silver 5 but no change in temps.



m
0
l
April 6, 2012 5:59:01 PM

scout_03 said:
you clocked the cpu dont forget was made to work at 3.2ghz and you raise up the voltage so that create more heat in the cpu what are your temp at factory speed and voltage with the 212 cooler



Hello...can someone atleast care to reply. What has happened to this forum. Earlier we used to get replies to our queries within no time but now I see that most of the threads are left incomplete nor any one cares to reply..... :cry: 
m
0
l
April 7, 2012 9:35:21 AM

on my rig, my idle temps are around 30deg and 52 on a prime full load test. 42deg on games.

having the same cooler and a oc similar to yours, i think that your temps are a bit high. it might be that your 3.2 stock speed is pushed to the limit for air cooling.

as said before, check your case for dust and grime. you would be suprised what some dust can do to your temps. you fan setup seems good, however, think about the air flow of each fan. you might find that one could be working against another, for example one intake fan could be blowing air directly in the flow of an another and exhausting it right out without picking up any heat. the flow should really be blowing cool air over a hot component then the exhaust takes the heat away. on my last case, i removed a fan and it actually lowered my temps. sometimes less is more.

also with your cooler, add a second fan on it to make a push pull setup. that will help with your cpu temp.

hope that might help
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
April 7, 2012 9:59:13 AM

irfan88 said:
Hello there,

I have the an AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE clocked at 4.0 Ghz at 1.425 volts with a Corsair 400r Case (7 fans) and a Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus cooler but the problem is I am getting 40 degrees idle and 59 degrees full load (running intel burn test and Linx).

I mean 40 degrees and 59 degrees is too much considering that I have a Hyper 212 plus cooler with AS5 thermal paste applied 7 to 8 months ago.

Is there something wrong with it or what. Should I change the cooler or add more fans to it?


does your cpu have the cool and quiet enabled?
whats your fan profile set to on your mobo?
does your cpu lower the multiplier at idle or have you locked it to get your overclock (eg. drop the cpu back to like 2ghz at idle)?
what are you using to get your temps?

end of the day its overclocked to 4ghz and overvolted, 40 degrees is fine its only 16 above ambient and its not possible to go below ambient without exotic cooling. and your complaining about 60 running intel burn in that punishes the sh?t out of your cpu thats fine too. get worried when temps get over 75 and all your fans are screaming to keep it cool. amds can get hot when overclocked thats the nature of the beast. I think your carrying on like a pork chop, its a 30 buck hsf there are plenty double that price that dont perform as well, personally i would be happy with those results you want better your gonna have to cough up more than 30 bucks on a hsf, sorry!
m
0
l
April 7, 2012 9:59:52 AM

Hes not at stock those temps are fine at 4.0.
m
0
l
April 7, 2012 12:21:22 PM

deejayburnout said:
on my rig, my idle temps are around 30deg and 52 on a prime full load test. 42deg on games.

having the same cooler and a oc similar to yours, i think that your temps are a bit high. it might be that your 3.2 stock speed is pushed to the limit for air cooling.

as said before, check your case for dust and grime. you would be suprised what some dust can do to your temps. you fan setup seems good, however, think about the air flow of each fan. you might find that one could be working against another, for example one intake fan could be blowing air directly in the flow of an another and exhausting it right out without picking up any heat. the flow should really be blowing cool air over a hot component then the exhaust takes the heat away. on my last case, i removed a fan and it actually lowered my temps. sometimes less is more.

also with your cooler, add a second fan on it to make a push pull setup. that will help with your cpu temp.

hope that might help



ok here I have two options:

1. I can get another fan for push/pull effect but I am unable to get the same fan in India as they are no longer available and moreover, in India its really difficult to find a Y cable. So can I get a different fan such as the Cooler master Excalibur for push and the stock hyper 212 for pull effect and Can I connect the other fan to the chasis connector (4 pin on the motherboard) because I cannot find a Y cable.

OR

2. I can go for a different cooler such as the Cooler master V6GT or a Corsair H80. Which one would be better? and I also heard that water cooling has risks of leakage especially with Corsair.

m
0
l
April 8, 2012 2:24:55 AM

Hello...a reply would be very helpfull to people waiting for it.... :??: 
m
0
l
a c 88 K Overclocking
April 8, 2012 4:53:54 AM

a second fan for the 212 (almost any 120mm works) should do wonders -I'd go that route - if it has PWM capability, you can plug it into a cha_fan spot and control it from the motherboard.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
April 8, 2012 4:54:30 AM

irfan88 said:
Hello...a reply would be very helpfull to people waiting for it.... :??: 


Hello...can someone atleast care to reply. What has happened to this forum. Earlier we used to get replies to our queries within no time but now I see that most of the threads are left incomplete nor any one cares to reply..... :cry: 

i have never heard someone winge and being so rude in your requests, remember you are asking us for help not the other way round
m
0
l
April 8, 2012 5:57:54 AM

C12Friedman said:
a second fan for the 212 (almost any 120mm works) should do wonders -I'd go that route - if it has PWM capability, you can plug it into a cha_fan spot and control it from the motherboard.



Hey, thanks for the help but will a Cooler Master Excalibur work as it has the PWM functionality. But my concern is the stock fan which is the blademaster rated at 76 CFM and the Excalibur rated at 82-84 CFM..

Should that be allright when working together?

and which fan should I place for Push and which one for pull.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 88 K Overclocking
April 8, 2012 6:56:58 AM

Easier to push than pull - you'll get near even airflow using the blademaster as the pusher. They should work fine together.
Share
April 8, 2012 7:17:52 AM

Best answer selected by irfan88.
m
0
l
!