AMD Phenom II X4 960T with 2 Unlocked Cores.

mr1hm

Distinguished
hey guys,

Let me begin with my current rig.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 960T (Unlocked to AMD Phenom II X6 1605T)
RAM: Kingston 8GB HyperX blu DDR3-1600 CL9
MOBO: MSI 870A-G54
HDD: Samsung 1TB 7200RPM (I believe it was the spinpoint?)
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB Single Fan
PSU: OCZ StealthXStream 600W

Unlocking the 2 extra cores brought my CPU's wattage up to 161w.

Will my power supply hold up with the unlocked 6 core processor and a XFX Radeon HD 6870 (Current GPU)?

and what if I were to overclock the CPU AND GPU?

Thanks in advance guys.

Are you sure that your two unlocked CPU cores are really working? I have the same chip and when I tried unlocking the two extra cores everything appeared to work just fine until that is I ran software that actually used the extra cores. Try running 3Dmark 2005 (with all of the latest patches) and see if it can run the CPU part of the test without locking up. Your power supply should be just fine but the real problem with unlocking the extra cores is the heat, you can't use the stock cooler.

mr1hm

Distinguished

Hey, thanks for the quick reply! I was pretty positive that it was a 6 core as CPU-Z and Task Manager had shown 6 cores. Task Manager showed all 6 cores working when I was in Battlefield 3, but when I was changing someone of my GPU settings I noticed that the 5th and 6th unlocked cores were unchecked. I simply checked them both.

I forgot to mention im running a Hyper 212+ from my previous Phenom II X4 830 OEM chip. In fact, because of the ridiculous heat production from the core unlocks, I'm headed to Microcenter for a 2nd fan to get the "push-pull," effect that the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ is known for :wahoo:

I'll definitely be taking your suggestion and will be running 3DMark 2005 to bench this beast.

If it truly is a beast.... :(

mr1hm

Distinguished

Wow! 1.5v vcore?! Do you think the 2 cores are unstable? or Was it overclocked at the time?

Also, overclocking just the 960T as is, is also a beast IMO. :wahoo:

austinwillie_95

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

ya the two cores are unstable, I BSOD about 20 min into prime blend so i just locked then back up