Single drop of water on computer

dgoldberg

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
my computer, a collermaster case housing over 3k dollers worth of parts, got a single drop of water spilt on it today, and the screen went purple. i imediatley did an emergency shutdown, and unplugged it from the power grid. ima try again when the water dries in an hour, but did i do the right thing? will i be ok? and what next? :??:

lok

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
You did the right thing. It's probably going to be ok, but I would give it at least a day to dry out completely. It's not likely but possible that a component got damaged. If you turn it on again tomorrow and it doesn't work at all (again, this is not very likely), you might need a repair expert to figure out what's wrong, unless you know how to do that yourself.

dgoldberg

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
Thanks for the quick response, and yes i know how to test components myself, and figure out what is making computers not work, but i am wondering, if it was only a drop of water, would it be ok to turn it on in say an hour just to test it? this is only because i need it for a large lan part i am hosting today at my house, if it doesnt work ima have to resort to my xbox. anyhow im asuming if the screen imediatley turned purple and rainbow, that it hit my gtx 295? i can just put a fan near it? idk just tryin to figure this out..... i dont have the money to fix these parts so im hoping that everythings ok, im out of a job right now

lok

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
If you want to accelerate it, I'd use a hairdryer. he combination of air and heat is best here. If in doubt, do it longer than you think you'll need to.

dgoldberg

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
i booted it up, am on it now, i checked to make sure that the water drop had dried, by watching another water drop that missed, until it evaporated, i turned it on, it posted, and all looks good, now im just worried about corrosion and ***, this wont affect its lifespan will it ?