Sign in with
Your question

Hide or change source of email

Last response: in Windows XP
May 15, 2012 4:50:56 PM

Hello, an ex-friend has somehow managed to automatically bounce all emails coming from my laptop, no matter who is using it and writing to her! Presumably there is some kind of machine identifier code that goes out with all emails sent from my machine, no matter whose account they are sent from. Is it possible to either block this machine identifier code or else to change it to a new one? Excuse me for not knowing the correct technical jargon.
a b 8 Security
a c 205 D Laptop
a b 1 Email
May 16, 2012 2:34:22 PM

Why not ask her to change this? If someone is blocking your email for a reason, we won't give out info how to bypass it.
m
l
May 23, 2012 4:45:07 AM

hang-the-9 said:
Why not ask her to change this? If someone is blocking your email for a reason, we won't give out info how to bypass it.

That's fair enough if she wants to block my own email address, but she presumably has not realised that she has also accidentally blocked all our roomies/flatmates (and our visitors) at the same time. They are all blaming me for that, and my ex-friend is probably wondering rather miserably why none of her old flatmates ever write to her any more. She went abroad and email had been the only way of communication, so none of us can tell her what she's done.
m
l
Related resources
a b 8 Security
a c 205 D Laptop
a b 1 Email
May 23, 2012 1:16:37 PM

It's very hard to block email from a specific computer but easy to block it from a particular email provider. Open up a new email account with a new company and email her from there. If all of you use the same email service, blocking that domain (say Yahoo.com) will block all emails from there.
m
l
May 23, 2012 2:37:17 PM

At last, a really useful reply! Thanks so much. I shall tell all the others to do that with a different provider. I shall not do it myself as my ex-friend doesn't yet wish to communicate, but hopefully our flatmates can talk her round and peace will reign again!
Thanks again.
m
l
!