Modem - Computer - Router

smartiepants

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
Hey Everyone,

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide me.

I'm trying to setup the following, as indicated by the title.

Internet -> PC -> Router -> Wireless

I'm not sure how to do the above in Windows 7.

In case anyone is wondering why I'd like to do such a thing, the reasons are the following:

Typically I've found that connecting the modem directly to the PC has resulted in higher speed and reliability, whereas running through the router leads to a speed decrease, and intermittent failures. This has happened with multiple routers, so I'm reasonably convinced that it's not an individual router problem, but I could be doing something wrong.

The reason I'm trying to get wireless is to run the xbox and iphone.

If there is anything else I can provide, please let me know. And thanks again for any help people can provide.

riser

Illustrious
You are really best off doing Internet -> Router -> PC & Wireless.

The router will add a level of security to your home network. Since you're experiencing the same router issues over and over, it leads to two potential issues. First, if you're running torrents or any multi-handled application, that would cause your above issues. The second issue could be an unstable power issue, spiking or browning out which has also been know the cause your issue. The resolution would be to purchase a cheaper UPS (battery). $30 or so and plug your Router, Modem, and your wireless if possible into it.

Otherwise you would need 2 NICs in your PC. The internet would connect to NIC#1. NIC#2 would need a static IP of the 192.168.x.x number your Router would be handing out. Your Router should be IP address 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 (depending on your brand). The Wireless AP would be 192.168.1.245 or 192.168.0.245. The Router and AP would both need the Gateway to be set to NIC#2. NIC#2 would be set to use NIC#1's IP address as the gateway.

Easier to use the router higher in the chain than to use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) - Which is what you're thinking about using but is highly recommended AGAINST using.

TRENDING THREADS