Lag spikes windows xp wireless usb desktop

hello all

signal strenght : good:

7 mb/ s inet 20 ms.

ping -t google.com : precisely every minute my internet suffers a lag spike of 2000 ms
have checked for spyware etc etc it's not my PC.

i have looked into some stuff that says that wireless will search for a better connection every minute and maybe that's what is causing it

my question is could it be the search for b etter connecitons every minute causing lag spikes?

The spike occurs exactly every 1:02 / 1:04 minute which makes it impossible for me to play a game in PEACE.

Please help my usb is tp link 54 mbps TL-WN321G
19 answers Last reply
More about spikes windows wireless desktop
  1. Could be a lot of things, including something upstream (ISP or further).

    One local possibility is WPA/WP2 key renewal. The pre-shared key is only used during initialization of the wireless connection. It’s periodically changed, but that's usually about every 3600 seconds (1 hr). But it's possible a truly paranoid wireless router could be doing this over much shorter periods, even every 60 seconds (insane).

    In all honesty, this seems a very remote possibility. But it's at least possible. See if your router's wireless setup has a field called "Key Renewal Interval" (or similar), check the value (note, many routers will not display and/or allow changes, so don't be surprised if you don't find it).

    Of course, one way to confirm it is WPA/WPA2 key renewal is to temporarily disable wireless security. If the problem goes away, that’s probably the problem.

    You could also temporarily switch to wire and see if it stops or continues. If it stops, the problem is obviously local and wireless. If it continues, the problem likely lies upstream.

    Btw, make sure you always broadcast your SSID. When the SSID is disabled (a worthless security measure anyway), Windows has a tendency to wander (seeking greener wireless pastures). Think of it as an “uncommitted relationship” between the wireless client and router.
  2. i'm going to connect my laptop via wired and check it out i will post an update soon, thanks for ideas sir.
  3. UPDATE


    USED THERNET CABLE ON MY LAPTOP NO HIGH PING...


    means that it is my usb that is ******* it up?
  4. what can i do opposite to using cable?

    i tried all those stuff on my router with no avail.
    doesn't have any those options
  5. Quote:
    UPDATE


    USED THERNET CABLE ON MY LAPTOP NO HIGH PING...


    means that it is my usb that is ******* it up?


    Are there any other USB devices you're using beside the wireless adapter?
  6. no only that
  7. NOTE: The following procedures are specifically for XP, but Vista and Win7 should be similar, adjust as necessary.

    Go to Start->Run, type "ncpa.cpl", and hit enter.

    Locate your wireless adapter, right click, and select Properties.

    Select Wireless Networks tab, then select Advanced.

    Make sure "Access point (infrastructure) networks only" is selected, and "Automatically connect to non-preferred networks' is NOT checked.
  8. GOD DIMN MAN IT WORKZ DUD
  9. no wait i still freeze although now it freezes only for 2 minutes and for 1400 ms
  10. Quote:
    no wait i still freeze although now it freezes only for 2 minutes and for 1400 ms


    Under the Wireless Networks tab, delete any other Preferred Networks except the one you're using.
  11. only had the one i'm using
  12. I assume the wireless adapter came w/ its own software and wireless management application. Did you try using that rather than WZC (Windows Zero Configuration)?
  13. what do you mean?
    what i did was, buy wireless usb, install it's drivers and ready 2 use i don't know what WZC is
  14. Quote:
    what do you mean?
    what i did was, buy wireless usb, install it's drivers and ready 2 use i don't know what WZC is


    There are typically two ways to configure your wireless adapter.

    WZC is Microsoft's "built in" service/application for configuring and managing your wireless connections. And many ppl use it just fine. It may even be the default, I just don’t recall.

    However, most wireless adapters come not just w/ drivers, but their own application for configuring and managing your wireless connections. That's why the Wireless Networks tab has a checkbox labeled "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings". If you UNCHECK that box, then WZC is no longer used. And if WZC is no longer used, then something has to replace it. And that something would typically be the application that came w/ your wireless adapter. And by using that application instead of WZC, you might be able to avoid your current problems (assuming WZC is the cause).

    If you UNCHECK that option in Wireless Networks, the WZC network icon will disappear (iirc) and the other application's tray icon will appear (if it’s already running). If not, the application should be accessible from the menu. Just start it and configure the wireless connection with it.
  15. eibgrad said:
    There are typically two ways to configure your wireless adapter.

    WZC is Microsoft's "built in" service/application for configuring and managing your wireless connections. And many ppl use it just fine. It may even be the default, I just don’t recall.

    However, most wireless adapters come not just w/ drivers, but their own application for configuring and managing your wireless connections. That's why the Wireless Networks tab has a checkbox labeled "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings". If you UNCHECK that box, then WZC is no longer used. And if WZC is no longer used, then something has to replace it. And that something would typically be the application that came w/ your wireless adapter. And by using that application instead of WZC, you might be able to avoid your current problems (assuming WZC is the cause).

    If you UNCHECK that option in Wireless Networks, the WZC network icon will disappear (iirc) and the other application's tray icon will appear (if it’s already running). If not, the application should be accessible from the menu. Just start it and configure the wireless connection with it.



    i disabled into no avail same ping
    what is the next step if there is any? :(
  16. Quote:
    i disabled into no avail same ping
    what is the next step if there is any? :(


    Did you actually find and try to use the application that came w/ the adapter? That wasn't clear from your response. You only mentioned disabling WZC and then a ping.
  17. could it be the usb ifucked up?
  18. no, i didn't get how i find the aplication
  19. oh i think i get it i disable it and the application which says the signal strenght etc disappears? well, it didn't !!
Ask a new question

Read More

Wireless Lag Wireless Networking