fkarbarz

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Hi, I need help troubleshooting a problem that occurred while upgrading the CPU on my #2 computer from a Pentium Dual Core E2180 to a Core2DuoE6850 CPU. The Core2Duo came straight out of my #1 computer which I successfully upgraded with a Core2Quad Q9550. The plan was to then use the E6850 to upgrade the #2 computer from the E2180 and retire the E2180. However, when installed the E6850 the computer would not even boot to Bios and the monitor stayed totally blank. I doublechecked my Artic Ceramique compound installation and everything was sound on the heatpipe heatsink, except I didn't have the fan plugged back in. I don't think that had an effect becuase I didn't even get the CPU to Bios when I detected the problem. After numerous reboots to no avail I reinstalled the E2180 and everything booted up correctly, so the problem seems to be isolated to how the mobo interacts with the E6850, or the E6850 itself. I don't want to backtest the E6850 on computer #1 (That now has the Q9550). Can it be possible that the Bios or Mobo doesn't recognize the E6850?

The case is Shuttle XPC SD30V10 and the mobo the FD30V10, which came with it as a barebones system. The board is a micro-ATX, I'm running Vista-64bit.

Thanks for your help.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
The first thing you need to enlighten the community with is who makes the older motherboard and the model number. Also how much and what kind of RAM is installed, and if known the graphics card.

Also do you hear any beep codes as it tries to boot up, any at all?

The E2180 is an 800 MHz CPU wheras the E6850 runs at 1333 MHz. Possibly the older MB or the BIOS won't support the faster chip. Best way to check is to go the the MB website and see if the faster chip is supported. Also the slower RAM chips may not run properly at the faster CPU speed.

Just takes a little searching, and with a little more info, someone might just know the answer.

John VK

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Your P5E SE PLUS will support the E6850 chip. Asus says on their website however to check the BIOS number.

Core 2 Duo E6850 (3.00GHz,1333FSB,L2:4MB,rev.G0) ALL 1407
If your motherboard BIOS version number is greater than the BIOS version listed above, then you will not need to flash your BIOS. However, if your BIOS version is smaller than the version listed above, then you will need to select and download the latest BIOS to update your system. We kindly remind you that there is a certain risk level involved in BIOS flashing, please refer to "BIOS Flashing Method ". If you still have doubts, we will strongly advise you to consult with a PC Professional or your PC dealer for further assistance.

Check your BIOS revision #. If it is less than 1407, possibly flashing the BIOS to the latest revision will do the trick.
The problem is that you will need to put the old CPU back in the MB to get it to post. If you can get online, you can download and flash the BIOS. If not, you may need to download it to a floppy or flash drive, then flash the BIOS from that.

fkarbarz

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Thanks for your replies. Here is the Shuttle System ID: SD30G2B, mobo says FD30(S5110) V1.0. Bios version when I boot up is SD30S105. The Shuttle website says the current bios for the SD30G barebones is SD30U107 (dated 20090128).

There were no beeps when I booted with the E6850 installed.
I'll attempt to flash the bios but I have to make a boot disk. Flashing will be via USB or DVD instead of a floppy.

fkarbarz

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Update 2/3. I have flashed the current bios via USB and too much time, but learned quite a bit along the way. Shuttle officially lists the E6700 as the fastest compatible Duo cpu for the SD30G2B, due to FSB limits on the NB. For the SD30G2B PLUS the E6850 is officially supported. The mobos are apparently the same. Magic? What I've learned is that Shuttle OC'd the NB to 1333 on the SD30G2 Plus and effectively made the same motherboard compatible with the faster cpu. How did they do this, Bios? It seems possible that I can still do this upgrade even though my 945GC northbridge has a 1066 FSB and my E6850 cpu has a 1333 FSB.
I will reinstall my E6850 and see what happens with the current bios. If that is not successful, I'm going to flash the bios for the SD30G2 Plus, and then cross my fingers.

Here's my reference from Shuttle, which may be useful for those who have a deeper understanding of the subject.
http://us.shuttle.com/scgforum/tm.aspx?m=189&mpage=1&key=SD30G2%2cPlus%2cReview&#189

fkarbarz

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
The bios update did no good, and the flash software would not accept the bios from the identical SD30G2 Plus. "The program file's part number does not match with your system". that absolutely stinks. I banked on socket compatibility when I purchased my two Socket 775 motherboards so I'd have an upgrade path to a Core2Quad. Not it turns out that some Socket 775 CPUs do not work in all Socket 775 motherboards.