120g SSD, 2 choices plz help me decide!

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Storage
  • Product
Last response: in Storage
October 10, 2011 8:01:52 PM

Hello all!

So there is absolutely an overwhelming amount of information on SSD's now, which I have done my best at self-educating. I am going to be making my first purchase to go with my SandyBridge system I make a few months ago. I have it narrowed down to 2 drives.

Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OR

Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F120GBGT-BK http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

They are within $10 bucks of each other so price isn't really a factor.

Sandforce vs M4?

Like everyone else, OS and a few games, mostly League of Legends and Battlefield 3. Have bought from both brands in the past (had good luck with both)

No video editing, just want speed and stability to break me into this new era of speed! I know these posts come up alot, but with the prices so equal online this might help other who are looking at these 2 as well!

Thanks in advance, this community has always been so helpful!

More about : 120g ssd choices plz decide

Best solution

a c 312 G Storage
October 10, 2011 8:38:26 PM

Crucial M4 ssd's are very popular and relatively trouble free.

SandForce based ssd's and in particular OCZ ssd's have experienced more than their fair share of problems. Recently OCZ had to issue 5 firmware updates/fixes in 6 months.
October 10, 2011 9:10:20 PM

If your mobo has a 3rd party SATA3 controller (like ASMedia or Marvell), you could get a Sandforce SSD now and connect it to the third party port for a few months - until SSD firmware/Intel drivers are mature enough. You'll get slower speeds for a while, but when firmware/drivers get better you just update and then connect it to an Intel port for full speeds.

I'd also consider SSDs with 32nm/34nm Toshiba toggle NAND (OCZ Vertex 3 MaxIOPS/Patriot Wildfire). Looks like most major manufacturers will be making the transition towards cheaper 25nm in the near future - hell, it's already happening - so I'd grab one of the 34nm ones while they're still around.
Score
Related resources
a b G Storage
October 10, 2011 9:29:22 PM

I've been waiting for the M4 to go on sale.
Score
October 11, 2011 12:36:19 AM

Me too, but I think we waited too long. The price jumped from ~$175 to $200+ after the latest firmware was release.
Score
October 11, 2011 2:08:04 AM

If you have a mobo with a good SATA III controller (ie. Intel's), then for the OS and games corsair force GT is the way to go for maximum speed. Also, it looks like that M4 uses asynchronous flash (based on its 1.2mil MTBF, could be wrong), and the synchronous flash on the force GT is definitely superior (ex. 2mil MTBF and faster when filled).
Score
October 11, 2011 2:27:48 AM

that question is like asking "do I play Russian Roulette (Sandforce), or do I pay the mafia and live (crucial)"

take your pick, I think I'll stick with crucial
Score
a b G Storage
October 11, 2011 2:50:41 AM

I dunno what you are worried about. Simply get the cheapest drive. Anyways, they are both great SSDs, with SSD speeds! Should any drive fail, both do offer garantees. You are not buying something and then losing the money if it fails. Besides, everybody uses a external HD for backup, only chumps lose their data nowadays.
Score
a b G Storage
October 11, 2011 4:22:28 AM

I would buy Intel or Crucial.

Cutting edge speed is not that important in an SSD. It's like asking how much faster can I drive through Manhattan at rush hour with a Ferrari vs. a Jaguar. Yes the test speeds of one are better than the test speeds of another, but both are limited by traffic congestion and traffic lights.
Score
October 11, 2011 7:52:42 AM

leandrodafontoura said:
only chumps lose their data nowadays.

Sad but true, such people exist. There was a guy recently at Comodo Time Machine forums who was blaming Comodo for his loss of sensitive data. In the end he had to send his drive to a data recovery lab in order to get his data back - data that was mission-critical as it had to do with his company, and it wasn't backed up! The fool was using Time Machine without backing up his disk, hell, even a cursory Google search would reveal how problematic CTM is. And when it all went south he was blaming Comodo for it and threatening them with legal action...

He was blaming the makers of a FREEWARE program for a disaster that would have been easily corrected if he had a backup. Such idiotic behaviour makes me despair about the state of mind of some people. Backing-up is one of those fundamental basic things that even a novice should be aware of - let alone a guy who uses his computer for mission-critical work data...

Also what cadder said is very true. Most people wouldn't notice any speed difference in real world usage between any of the newer drives out there. Still, I'd get the faster drive - as long as there is no huge price difference - and use it temporarily on a third-party controller until firmware and Intel drivers mature and problems get ironed out. 34nm Toshiba toggle NAND is not going to be around for long anyways, I'd grab one now while they're still around.

Score
October 11, 2011 9:50:51 AM

Quote:
only chumps lose their data nowadays.

bad_machine said:
Sad but true, such people exist.
The idiot ....

Don't blame them. It's not that such people exist, unfortunately they are the norm. Most people (average Joe) never backup. They have no idea that hard disk may crash, virus may damage data, or even a human error may remove sensitive data, .... until its too late.

The worst of them are people who think they know about computers and don't backup because "their data is already protected" since they have a couple discs in RAID configuration (saddest thing is most of the time the disks are in RAID 0).

A colleague started not long ago to work as chief IT in a public health organization that had a database with millions of users. They performed a total backup each weak followed by incremental backups daily. He was terrified when he discovered that their routine operation for years was to store the weekly total backup overwriting the previous week total backup. And that was an organization full of IT professionals.

Score
a b G Storage
October 11, 2011 1:02:49 PM

Regarding backup software, Ive always been using WD Anywhere Backuup, it came free with a WD external hard drive, so its not exactly freeware. Its very good tough, however, Im not sure WD still ships it, I think they are offering a new software now.

I have 2 backup options, one constant, continous to a always online external hard drvie wich I backup all my important files, and a second wich I leave the hard drive off, and only turn to do a backup once a month, this particular one has a snapshot of my entire system, and its a easy restore should I ever need it.

Score
a b G Storage
October 11, 2011 1:07:03 PM

Regarding RAID, its NOT backup. If a drive fails, you have to restore the RAID before getting back your data, and in the mean time, another drive may fail, specialy now in the TB zone.

I once had a RAID 5 system with Windows on it. When the drive failed, I could no longer acess...windows....lol. The thing is that BIOS cannot repair a RAID array, it has to be done under windows....so in the end...I was doomed. I was able to brilliantly do a hack and acess windows using a external hd and then repair the array.
Score
October 11, 2011 4:56:00 PM

Interesting, you guys are just as divided as everyone else I've talked to!

I have the ASUS P8P67 PRO with 2 xSATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (navy blue) by Marvell 9120
Score
October 11, 2011 6:14:14 PM

tdkelley said:
Interesting, you guys are just as divided as everyone else I've talked to!

I have the ASUS P8P67 PRO with 2 xSATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (navy blue) by Marvell 9120

There's no easy answer. Your Marvell controller should be stable enough even with Sandforce, at least that's what I've gathered by researching online for the last month or so. If you're planning to change your mobo sometime in the near future to a Z68 chipset, then a Sandforce drive right now would be a better choice as it will give you better speeds on your future mobo. If you don't plan to upgrade in the forseeable future, then the M4 would probably be a better buy for you.

I personally wouldn't buy Corsair, but then again a lot of people say the same about OCZ. The Patriot Wildfire looks great on benchmarks (and it has 34nm Toshiba toggle NAND like the OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS), but its future firmware support is a bit of an unknown quantity IMO. OCZ on the other hand is Sandforce's partner, so firmware-wise you can expect good long-term support. On the basis of that alone I decided to take the plunge and I will be ordering an 120Gig Max IOPS tomorrow.

Choosing an SSD has proven a major headache for me. Too many issues and variables to consider. No easy answer indeed.
Score
a c 312 G Storage
October 11, 2011 6:51:13 PM

I just checked the Intel Motherboard Database

Your motherboard has four SATA 3.0 6Gb/s ports. Two ports use the Intel Controller integrated into the Intel P67 chipset. Two ports use the Marvell 9120.

The Intel Controller integrated into the Intel P67 chipset and the latest Intel drivers are preferred over the Marvell 9120 Controller. Performance will probably be better with the Intel Controller.

Modern consumer oriented SATA 3.0 6Gb/s solid state drives introduced this year perform much better than older models. Cadder hit it right on the money. Speed is no longer an issue. In fact I'll let you in on a little secret. The synthetic benchmarks were invented to grossly exaggerate to the max very minor differences among ssd's in the same class. That's why they're called synthetic benchmarks. They're not real and do not reflect real world use. Worse still, ssd manufactures choose a benchmark that makes their ssd's look better than they are. Those benchmarks do not reflect real world performance. Consider them a marketing gimmick.
Score
October 13, 2011 12:09:51 AM

does anyone have info about the Samsung 830, I have been wondering if it is worth my time to wait till its release...
Score
October 14, 2011 2:10:24 PM

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Score
October 14, 2011 2:32:52 PM

now I just need the release date B-)
Score
a c 312 G Storage
October 14, 2011 3:09:39 PM

The retail version of the Samsung 830 is expected to be released this month. However, the release date has not been set. There is a reason for that. Samsung has been supplying OEM versions of the 470 to Sony, Dell, Lenovo, Apple, Alienware, and other smaller retailers of "off the shelf" pc's. Samsung will also be supplying OEM versions of the 830. Samsung assigned priority to the OEM versions. Samsung will release their own retail version when the situation permits.

News reports suggest Samsung has a 29% share of the ssd market because of the OEM contracts.
Score
October 14, 2011 7:10:03 PM

it looks like the 830 is going to be 300 USD :( 
Score
October 16, 2011 6:48:28 PM

OK, been super busy this week with school to replay. I made the plunge for the M4, will report back in a few days with some reviews!

Thanks again for all the good advice!
Score
October 20, 2011 1:55:42 AM

Johnny... any opinion on if I will see a performance difference using Intel Smart response on a Sata II or Sata III ?

I realize III clearly has a higher throughput, just wondering if it will be noticeable.

Score
a c 312 G Storage
October 20, 2011 4:47:05 AM

Good question.

SATA 2 3Gb/s and SATA 3 6Gb/s data transmission speeds do not apply because you are using an ssd as a cache for a hard disk drive. Either way there is only a small hard drive performance boost when compared to an independent ssd with Windows 7 and applications installed on the ssd.

Score
October 20, 2011 10:47:54 AM

Thanks for the reply JL... one last question and I'll leave you alone :) 

Are you suggesting that I will only see a marginal perf boost using the Intel SR in general or there is little difference using intel SR vs using a dedicated SSD?

Thanks for the info, I've been out of the tech loop for a bit.
Score
a c 312 G Storage
October 20, 2011 11:48:19 AM

Yes, a 60GB or larger dedicated ssd that has Windows 7 and applications installed on it will perform better than an ssd used as a cache. The actual difference in performance will vary depending on individual pc configuration and how the pc is used.

When Intel originally developed SRT it was designed to be used with a 10 or 20 GB ssd that cost about $100.00 (Intel M11 ssd). It was meant for clients who could not afford a larger capacity ssd. It was a compromise. When the price of ssd's dropped the situation changed.
Score
October 30, 2011 6:29:03 AM

Best answer selected by tdkelley.
Score
a b G Storage
October 30, 2011 7:15:52 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!