Sign in with
Your question

Power supply deals?

Last response: in Components
January 29, 2010 9:27:08 PM

Does anyone know where to find a good deal on a 700 or 750w power supply?

More about : power supply deals

Related resources
a c 248 ) Power supply
January 30, 2010 1:13:08 AM

Diehr - What do you mean by "good deal"? Do you just want a cheap power supply that is adequate or do you want a high quality unit that represents true value for the money spent? There's a big difference.

It would also help if you listed you pc components and mentioned what you use the system for. Different systems and applications have different requirements.
January 30, 2010 10:16:35 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
Diehr - What do you mean by "good deal"? Do you just want a cheap power supply that is adequate or do you want a high quality unit that represents true value for the money spent? There's a big difference.

It would also help if you listed you pc components and mentioned what you use the system for. Different systems and applications have different requirements.

Sorry about that. Here are the specs to my computer. Im also changing the graphics card to a Radeon HD 5850.

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/h [...] 77303.html
a c 248 ) Power supply
January 30, 2010 11:09:46 PM

OK! First, the power requirements!

Here are the official power requirements for the new ATI Radeon HD 5850 card.

ATI Radeon™ HD5850 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors.

600 Watt or greater power supply with four 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

The recommendations are for an entire pc system. Since you're only installing one video card, a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply is sufficient.

You can get the Antec Earthwatts 500 for $69.99 and shipping is free:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you have a few more dollars to spare you can get the Corsair VX 550 suggested by hunter315. Currently on sale for $79.99 plus shipping. There is a $10.00 mail in rebate that brings the final price down to $69.99 plus shipping:

In terms of final price the Corsair VX550 is only $5.99 more and a better deal. Corsair has a reputation for high quality power supplies. They consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are stable, reliable, and come with a 5 year warranty.

But Wait! There's more! The Corsair TX 650 is also on sale with a larger discount, larger mail-in rebate, and shipping is free! The final price is only $69.99:

It's a bargain basement deal. Take another look at the 5850 power requirements I posted. With the TX 650 you have some future proofing. You could add a second 5850 for Crossfire mode if you want.

Now, having said all that, do you have room in your pc case for a 5850 video card? The depth of the case is listed as 16.9 inches. The 5850 is 9.5 inches long. Allow another half inch for the power cables. That leaves a little less than 7 inches for other components inside the case. The card may or may not fit.
January 30, 2010 11:17:50 PM

You still want a deal ? I still stand by my original suggestion posted at the top:

OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7 - Retail - $50 AR with promo code and with free shipping (note the promotion ends Feb 3)

As you can see - it is a lot cheaper even tho it is 700w instead of 500w and this rating - composed by a lot of people over the years - ranks it on tier two with both the Corsairs and Antec Earthwatts listed above for more money:

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
January 30, 2010 11:24:08 PM

You could save $10 and get the 500w version - but for the extra $10 I would go with the 700w since PSUs run cooler, more efficiently, and with less noise when not operating near capacity.

OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7 - Retail - $40 AR
a c 248 ) Power supply
January 30, 2010 11:54:17 PM

rockyjohn - I think you have your OCZ models mixed up. The OCZ ModXStream Pro 700 watt power supply did not make the Tier 2 list. It is actually listed in Tier 3 because it is only rated for 40C. OCZ advertised the model as being rated for 50C which was incorrect. The problem showed up in technical reviews when the unit failed temperature testing. As a result OCZ was forced to change the advertised temperature rating. This change happened last March. Otherwise, it is a very good power supply.
January 31, 2010 1:30:23 AM

Thank you for that correction. I was wrong about the rating.

However, based upon further research, and since 40C = 105F, I still have no problem recommending it at that price point and the savings it provides over the others.

I found this review that touches on what Johnny stated above:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/03/03/ocz_modxstrea...

But if the issue still concerns you, then you can get its non-modular brother, StealthXStream, which is on tier 2 in the 700w versions for $50 after rebate and promo (the latter ends on Feb 3 also) with free shipping:

OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
New Year special savings, limited offer
a c 248 ) Power supply
January 31, 2010 3:01:03 AM

rockyjohn - Looks like OCZ took some shortcuts. The StealthXStream 700 is missing overpower protection (OPP) and undervoltage protection (UVP). There is no temperature rating which usually means 25C. The capcitors are not heavy duty. That's why the unit cost less. For all practical purposes it is only an adequate psu. Early last month newegg.com was selling it for a final price of $39.99 and free shipping.

I have found OCZ to be inconsistent. They actually do make a few excellent power supplies. However, most of their psu's are aimed at "cost concious consumers" which usually means shortcuts to keep prices down in a very competitive market. That was made perfectly clear in an interview with the OCZ CEO. I read it two months ago. It's the mixed results that are irritating. On top of that there are too many model lines that confuse users. I'd rather see them offer a dozen good quality, energy efficient power supplies instead of the confusing lineup they have.

Recently OCZ introduced their brand new Z series of power supplies. Only a few technical reviews have been conducted so far and they were very very favorable. If the entire Z series is like the first ones reviewed, then OCZ may have finally got it right. We'll just have to wait and see. I took a look at prices at newegg. Looks like the Z series is going for premium prices.
January 31, 2010 4:51:17 PM

JohnnyLucky - Thanks for all your help, and everyone else. Earlier you had mentioned the radeon 5850 might be a tight fit in my case. And that concerned me to but it appears the two slots i need are clear from the front to the back of my computer. As long as it physical fits, will it work? Or is there anything else that i might not be thinking about?
a c 248 ) Power supply
January 31, 2010 5:17:52 PM

Yes.
January 31, 2010 5:51:12 PM

It looks to me like the connectors for the HD might keep it from being a clear shot from front to back, but that you should still have enough room. Just roughly scaling of the picture, it appears you have about 13" to HD cabling and since card is only 9.5", there should be ample room for connector to video card.
January 31, 2010 5:53:54 PM

My booty hurts
a c 248 ) Power supply
January 31, 2010 6:37:49 PM

bower95 - That is not a good deal. First, the psu is a refurbished unit with a limited warranty. Second it is an older model which is not very efficient. Efficiency drops down to 75%. It does not meet today's standards. Third, it only comes with an 80mm that is loud and does not dissipate heat very well. The unit you linked to is a refurbished unit that probably overheated.
February 1, 2010 1:47:48 AM

Derp, edited post.
February 1, 2010 1:06:49 PM

But I assume you care about whether the computer can power your stuff without frying it, under-powering it, or quitting on you. That recertified unit you are recommending carries a one year warranty compared to three years on the same unit new. If the recertified is so good - and like new - why only one-third the warranty of the same unit new?
February 1, 2010 7:19:55 PM

Because it's refurbished, and it's probably already run half of it's lifetime, and you're only paying a fraction of the price. Also you should check the reviews/benchmarks (whatevers) of that PSU. It's pretty darn reliable.
OCZ GameXstream 700-watt.

But the price, dood, look at the price. 40$ for 700 watts, 72 amp 12v rail (I think). That's a steal.

But I'm done fighting for it, I'll just remove the links because I don't feel like responding anymore....
a c 248 ) Power supply
February 1, 2010 7:36:25 PM

bower95 - The OCZ GameXstream 700 watt power supply has the exact same shortcomings as the StealthXstream 700 that rockyjohn mentioned. The problems showed up during competent technical reviews. It appears OCZ is taking shortcuts to keep prices down.
February 1, 2010 7:38:37 PM

Can I see?
February 2, 2010 1:35:36 AM

Not what I expected :( 
Oh well.
I heard OCZ is giving out newer versions of their power supplies now as replacements for broken GameXstreams :) 
Hopefully they are better.
a c 248 ) Power supply
February 2, 2010 2:01:10 AM

They just introduced their new Z series. Maybe they'll get it right and produce an entire model series that is high quality. Then again, maybe not. The 1000 watt psu seems to have a problem witha weak +3.3 volt rais and +3.3 ripple. :( 
February 11, 2010 6:02:50 PM

I installed my new radeon 5850 and its deffinately a tight fit but it fits. I've been playing Fallout 3 for hours at a time. It doesn't seem to be over heating. i thnik its been running at 50 degrees C. Is that normal?
a c 248 ) Power supply
February 13, 2010 8:49:10 AM

Yes - 50C during gaming sessions is fine. Actually it's pretty darn good.
!