Cpu multiplier issues

Bobbyman

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
Hi guys im new to the forums, got a pc problem you might be able to help me with? which is driving me mad almost insane. Just upgraded my motherboard to a crosshair III because i wanted to install more ram and run 2 cards in crossfire. Ive noticed my cpu is running incredibly slow the core speed is something like 800mhz (200x4), so i disabled cool'n'quiet and C1E t, then i Ran cpu-z and prime 95 so that the processor was running 100%. still no difference in cpu-z. At first i thought it might be problem with cpu-z but when windows experience rated my processor at 3.7 i knew something was wrong, even did a benchmark test which was incredibly low too. No amount of tweaking in the bios has made any difference to the low multiplier, even reseting bios settings to default made no difference whatsoever. Odd thing is i can overclock the processor using turbov but not using the bios weird. Not new to overclocking btw i just wish i could overclock using the bios i can't even get an unstable overclock. So far ive reinstalled windows 7 both 32bit and 64bit, installed vista!!! cleared the cmos, Updated the bios to 1602. Checked all that all my drivers are updated. Im out of ideas and about to give up. Think it might be a fault with my bios?

My system specs are

Crosshair III formula
Phenom 965BE 125W
4GB G.Skill RipJaw DDR3 CL7 PC-10666 1333Mhz
BFG GTX 280
850w coolmaster 80+ certified
SAMSUNG SPINPOINT F3 1TB
Windows 7

You said you can overclock from the OS. Can you bump the multiplier and get the chip up to stock speed?

Is it overheating?

Possible damage from ESD hangs around in the back of my mind as I ponder the problem, but one thing at a time.

Bobbyman

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
Temps aren't getting any higher than 32c have a more than capable Noctua NH-D14 protecting the chip, come to think of it, its possible that the board may have been damaged by static. I wore a static wrist band but still it doesn't offer 100% protection

I doubt its the problem.

Are you able to get it to run at stock speed using utilites from within windows?

Bobbyman

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
Aye running at 3.6ghz tempuratures idling at 32c, using asus's turbo v, even ran bad company 2. Still i'd like to know whats causing it.

G

Man i have the exact same problem , i have the same board and a phenom ii x4 955.

Boot in safe mode an see what your speed is there. If your running full speed in safe mode, you may have a windows utility is causing the slowdown.

Perhaps we are looking at an overclocking utility that is overriding the bios. Shutdown EVERTHING that starts automatically. EVERYTHING! Run MSconfig and shutdown everything in "service" and everything in "startup". If that works, its likely asus software or some other startup app or service. Process of elimination will tell you which.

Load the bios. What does it show for multiplier settings, etc?

Are you sure you updated to the correct bios? Maybe you chose an older one accidentally or the server sent the wrong file. Could be unrecognized cpu. Don't assume. Double check.

If this fails, try a boot cd, like bart or linux. Both of these will boot from the cd exclusively.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Check speed from there. This will resolve with certaintly if its a hardware or software/OS problem.

If I had to guess, I think software is overriding the bios.

Good luck, let us know the results.

Bobbyman

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
Tried everything you mentioned, tried it in safe mode didnt work, then disabled all serviceds and startup programs in msconfig, no difference so it isnt a software problem. Flashed the bios again with 1602 this time using asus update utility instead of ezflash, this is where it gets really strange now the core speed is 3.6 at startup (without any software running) which is good only the bios is set at 3.4.

Does it stay at 3.6 once the software is up and running?

What bios did it have to start with?

Try the boot cd also. Lets make sure this isn't an OS issue. I know you installed 7 and vista, but they use the same core. There is still a slim chance its OS. Best to eliminate it all together as a possibility .

That was exactly why I was asking about your starting bios. But even if it is the bios, it may only be a problem with the one cpu. I have seen that before.

Report your suspicions to Asus and test an older bios. But Make sure it supports a C3 stepping.

Bobbyman

Distinguished
May 18, 2010

Downgraded my bios following instructions in the link and everything works fine now. Bloody asus's fault i mean anus's fault. So relieved that its fixed now, i can get me teeth in mass effect 2.