Sign in with
Your question

Good CHEAP card to use a PPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 20, 2009 2:51:15 PM

Hey guys, got a question for the forums.

I just bought a bunch of parts to build a new gaming set up and I want to get an older nvida 8xxxx series card to offload the physics to. The card I bought is an ATI 5770 and I hard the nvidia as ppu works no matter what company your main card is so i'm not worried about that.

I was reading some posts in other places and one guy asked if using an 8400gs was good enough to get full benefits when turning the physics on in compatible games The answers he go varied alot so i'm gonna ask here myself and see if I can get a clearer picture.

I'm also willing to get 8500-8600 cards as they are fairly cheap too so if anybody can help me out i'd appreciate it. I hope this gets answered. I posted a question about a sound card yesterday and only one person besides me has posted at all.

P.S. I know there a probably stronger cards that are cheap too but I want one that doesn't need its own power cable.

More about : good cheap card ppu

November 20, 2009 2:59:01 PM

I'm running W7 x64 ultimate if that helps at all
m
l
November 20, 2009 4:15:05 PM

Wow I give up. I though this was a place where people would actually answer your question but I guess not. But I found my answers on another forums so mods please delete.
m
l
Related resources
November 20, 2009 4:32:25 PM

Noone responded because there are some billion threads on the same thing every day. Also, you are far more impatient than the average person.. It is lunch time and people do need to eat.. Grow up.

What you are asking is impossible unless you use mods (hacks) to teh nvidia drivers. Nvidia removed the ability for a card to work as a PPU if anythign but an nvidia card is used as the primary. Of course there are ways around this, there are comunity hacks to change the drivers to work.
m
l
November 20, 2009 4:36:06 PM

But apparently 64bit windows OS do not allow unsigned drivers, which the workarounds may fall under. Using pre-lock out drivers (before 186) seems a more likely way to get it to work, should the community hacks fail.
m
l
November 20, 2009 4:50:14 PM

daedalus685 said:
Noone responded because there are some billion threads on the same thing every day. Also, you are far more impatient than the average person.. It is lunch time and people do need to eat.. Grow up.

What you are asking is impossible unless you use mods (hacks) to teh nvidia drivers. Nvidia removed the ability for a card to work as a PPU if anythign but an nvidia card is used as the primary. Of course there are ways around this, there are comunity hacks to change the drivers to work.

Its not lunch time everywhere now is it? Every member of this forum can't be eating at the same time now can they? Not to mention the folks that looked at the thread and didnt bother to reply. I did a search and none matched my EXACT question so there is no way to ensure that I get an answer that works for my situation than to ask.

All that being said, I have that genL driver that blocks the nvida disabling ati cards, but I STILL need to know what is a card that will allow for the full physics to be used without any slowdown in games that also doesn't need its own power cable (if such a card meeting both criteria exists)

My appreciation to people who have helpful answers.
m
l
November 20, 2009 4:53:26 PM

JofaMang said:
But apparently 64bit windows OS do not allow unsigned drivers, which the workarounds may fall under. Using pre-lock out drivers (before 186) seems a more likely way to get it to work, should the community hacks fail.

I have that genL driver and from what I read its more of a patch to the official nvidia 190 drivers rather than a driver on its own (I could be wrong). Thanks for the heads up though. I still need to find a card that serves my purpose (assuming all the work arounds go well).
m
l
November 20, 2009 5:42:52 PM

tical2399 said:
I have that genL driver and from what I read its more of a patch to the official nvidia 190 drivers rather than a driver on its own (I could be wrong). Thanks for the heads up though. I still need to find a card that serves my purpose (assuming all the work arounds go well).

Do you want to play around with it, or do you want to actually use it?

Nothing under a 9600 will give you playable fps in a heavely physX game. You mgith even want mroe than that if you are used to gamign at high settings. Something like Batman would need a 9800gtx at max settings, dedicated to physX, to play at what most people consider acceptable.

If you jsut want to play around, and seeing as it might not even work, you may as well find teh cheepest physX card around.

Also, no, it is not lunch time everywhere... but a user forum is not exactly required to answer your questions.. least of not in a hour... Perhaps noone knew the anser, perhaps they were just sick of the inability for people to find google, as physx is a VERY well documented subjct, as is ATI + PhysX..
m
l
November 20, 2009 6:08:17 PM

Well people come to forums when they can't find answers on google or need PRECISE answers to SPECIFIC questions. Is a user forum required to answer me? Of course not, but I thought it was common courtesy to answer a question if you know the answer. Politeness for FTL I suppose.

Also if people didn't want to be subjected to questions (many of the same ones often) then why visit forums in the first place??? It could be possible that no one knew the answer but on a forum full of savvy computer users, I doubt NOBODY knew the answer.

All that being said thanks for the answer. I'll look into a cheap 9600 someplace.
m
l
November 20, 2009 6:15:46 PM

tical2399 said:
Well people come to forums when they can't find answers on google or need PRECISE answers to SPECIFIC questions. Is a user forum required to answer me? Of course not, but I thought it was common courtesy to answer a question if you know the answer. Politeness for FTL I suppose.

Also if people didn't want to be subjected to questions (many of the same ones often) then why visit forums in the first place??? It could be possible that no one knew the answer but on a forum full of savvy computer users, I doubt NOBODY knew the answer.

All that being said thanks for the answer. I'll look into a cheap 9600 someplace.

You are just expecting too much from a forum.. It took less than 2 hours to get people responding. That is a pretty good turnaround even if you were paying for the support. If you want quick, then use google, if you want specific than you have to put on the patient hat.

Newegg has some 9600gt's for 69.99 after rebate.
m
l
November 20, 2009 6:24:02 PM

Hmm after looking around seems the 9600 are not as cheap as I'd like. No way to get at least similar physics from a 9400GT??
m
l
November 20, 2009 6:33:22 PM

tical2399 said:
Its not lunch time everywhere now is it? Every member of this forum can't be eating at the same time now can they? Not to mention the folks that looked at the thread and didnt bother to reply. I did a search and none matched my EXACT question so there is no way to ensure that I get an answer that works for my situation than to ask.

Last time I checked this is a forum, not a chat room. As such, a reply may or may not come in hours or days, not seconds.

Patience is a virtue, why can't you wait more than 5 mins.....
m
l
November 20, 2009 7:16:24 PM

tical2399 said:
Hmm after looking around seems the 9600 are not as cheap as I'd like. No way to get at least similar physics from a 9400GT??

You could certainly use it for physics. But I will tell you right now it will be a waste of time. With a 9400 you are getting into the range of "not much better than physX on the CPU." This is fine for playing with it, and seeing, "oh look, those are the efects everyone talked about" but you will end up watching a slide show more often than not.
m
l
November 20, 2009 9:28:37 PM

Cool. Thanks for the help. I think my boy still has an 8800 something or other i'll see if I can buy it cheap or trade it for a favor (do a term paper maybe).

You seem to know your stuff maybe you can take a look at the post i made on hte sound card page and let me know what is the best option as far as that question goes.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 20, 2009 9:32:36 PM

Any thing below $50 USD that isn't complete crap will be worth it as for the 9400gt it might cut it but worth a shot. No guts no glory.
m
l
November 20, 2009 9:51:58 PM

daedalus685 said:
You could certainly use it for physics. But I will tell you right now it will be a waste of time. With a 9400 you are getting into the range of "not much better than physX on the CPU." This is fine for playing with it, and seeing, "oh look, those are the efects everyone talked about" but you will end up watching a slide show more often than not.

So i'm assuming those cheap geforce 210 or 220 cards wont cut it either, right?
m
l
November 21, 2009 12:50:00 AM

Quote from Tom's batman review:

"The good news here is that a GeForce GT 220 can be had for as little as $65 online, and as a dedicated PhysX card, it will guarantee that the High PhysX setting won't bottleneck performance. Even at 1920x1200, the GT 220 produced a minimum frame rate of 36 FPS as a dedicated PhysX card. Using more expensive solutions as dedicated PhysX processors didn't produce appreciably higher frame rates, so the GeForce GT 220 is a real PhysX champion for the price."
m
l
November 21, 2009 1:38:49 AM

uchinanchu said:
Quote from Tom's batman review:

"The good news here is that a GeForce GT 220 can be had for as little as $65 online, and as a dedicated PhysX card, it will guarantee that the High PhysX setting won't bottleneck performance. Even at 1920x1200, the GT 220 produced a minimum frame rate of 36 FPS as a dedicated PhysX card. Using more expensive solutions as dedicated PhysX processors didn't produce appreciably higher frame rates, so the GeForce GT 220 is a real PhysX champion for the price."

Nice, thanks for the info. was gonna get my boy's old 8800 but he just told me he built a pc for his folks and used that. Well looks like i'm off to newegg or whatever reputable place has it for less.
m
l
!