Is overclocking important?

MrGreedy

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
I accidently bought a i7 2600 without a "K", which means I'll be unable to make any major overclocking. How important is overclocking for demanding/upcoming demanding games if you want to max them out? Does overclocking by itself increase FPS or is overclocking all about the CPU working together with a relatively more demanding GPU? I have the GPU GTX 560Ti

Overclocking is not important for high end CPUs like the one you have. FPS in games will be mostly determined by the level of graphics card you use anyway. Overclocking for your processor will not be needed for 2 years or so when newer CPUs come out that are much faster and you decide to overclock yours to keep up. I wouldn't worry about it.

KNO3

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009

...so you're saying you would keep the locked processor? I'm skeptical.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
A locked i7? I'd return the i7, get a cheaper i5 K with very similar performance in gaming and use the leftover money on an aftermarket heatsink.

The i7's hyperthreading is mostly useless in current games, and the extra cache has little effect unless if you get close to 6 GHz range.

KNO3

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009

Valid point. I wasn't disputing the validity of your answer, I was just skeptical that you would keep the processor lol

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
It's important to OC your CPU and GPU and any possible part but dont OC too far, just OC it where it is completely stable and recommended by other tester/OCer... OC is very important to those who want superior performance especially if your doing video encoding or 3d graphic design or stuff that uses hardware.. If your just a plain gamer than OCing the video card is fine and leave CPU alone which should last at least 5 years before it slows down(where newer games comes out) to the point you would want to OC...

MrGreedy

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
The i7 2600 was transported in my newly shop-built computer. I am still allowed to send it back and have it changed to i7 2600k. However, the upgrade and extra transport cost will cost me an additional $100. Would it be worth it so I can overclock?

To be noted: My sole purpose of this computer is gaming. Do you agree with LegendKiller that overclocking a good CPU isn't quite needed for gaming?

Yes you are fine, don't spend $100 just to get an unlocked multiplier. That CPU will do fine for gaming and so will your GTX 560ti, if you want even more performance get a 2nd 560ti or an even better GPU but you don't need it.

G

your fine with a i7-2600; there is some *minor* overclocking you can do with the turbo boost settings.

but if your going to spend any more money for "upgrading" anything it would be better spent on the GPU side to increase your gaming performance.

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

For me, I think it's not even worth the extra $100 for an unlock processor... All he does is games so why should it matter? After 5 years, the processor would start to seem slow in games because games is ganna get more intense later in future which should support multi core/threads...