Sign in with
Your question

5.25 bay fan controller and Y-connections?

Last response: in Overclocking
April 6, 2012 8:47:53 PM

Hey all!

I've just finished a liquid cooling loop in my computer and the silence brought on by removing the CPU fan has got me hooked on dead silence (without replacing all my fans... at least not yet)! so right now I'd like to replace my CD drive with a fan controller. I have 7 fans and wouldn't mind grouping them into 3 groups (Hence the Y-connectors, i think they're called)

I have a rear fan all by it's lonesome, 4 fans in a push pull config on a Rad, and 2 fans upfront that are the loudest in the system. I'd like to seperate them into 3 groups and control them as needed. any suggestions would be apperciated. a nudge in the right direction or a full out list of parts to take into consideration. I'd like to order these parts on monday and budget is... idk, say $50? if that's reasonable? =) also I only have 1 bay open, dual bay res taking up 2/3 spaces.
a b K Overclocking
April 6, 2012 10:39:23 PM

Quite a workable proposition, and it will need some experimentation.

Check the temps and try and balance the Intake and Exhaust fans CFMs (within 10% should be fine, and don't worry too much about negative pressure and positive pressure).
m
l
April 6, 2012 11:11:16 PM

If you "split" the fans from the header, you may get false readings on the fan controller (if it displays fan speeds).

I have no experience with a fan controller, but I've split the fan header on my motherboard to 2 fans. I immediately got error messges from my BIOS about fan readings. I had to snip the yellow wire off one side of the Y-splitter, but then I got fan readings as half of what a single fan was. I don't know if the fan was still spinning at it's original setting, or if it was in half.

Anyway, the fan controller may not be able to handle more than 1 fan per plug/header.
m
l
Related resources
April 7, 2012 12:05:23 AM

I'm not interested in actually seeing the fan speeds, a totally analog controller would be fine. I found the same thing you did Ubrales. perhaps I'll buy a 6 speed controller and a few Y connectors and if they work they work - if not I'll control all but one of my fans
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 7, 2012 12:10:24 AM

mcopinger said:
I'm not interested in actually seeing the fan speeds, a totally analog controller would be fine. I found the same thing you did Ubrales. perhaps I'll buy a 6 speed controller and a few Y connectors and if they work they work - if not I'll control all but one of my fans

The output in most of these controllers is 1 Amp per channel - splitting that with a Y-connector may not be the way to go.
m
l
April 7, 2012 12:29:51 AM

I've check the amperage of all of my fans, the two highest output fans are .29A and they lowest is .14A

so I wouldn't be able to tie all my Rad fans together because it would go over that 1A limit by almost an entire .10A but I could do the rear fan, 2 push fans, two pull fans, and two front fans each to a dedicated controller =D

thoughts everyone?
m
l
April 8, 2012 1:12:00 AM

well I've ordered the parts, I'll let everyone know if I fry anything O.o
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 8, 2012 1:26:51 AM

mcopinger said:
well I've ordered the parts, I'll let everyone know if I fry anything O.o

Read the instructions, be confident, and nothing will be fried! Good luck!
m
l
!