Most dependable i5 motherboard for CS4 and AutoCAD?

g725s

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
I will be building a new PC in the coming months.

I want the most dependable, longest lasting i5 system I can build.

I'd like some recommendations on what motherboard to get. I'm a bit out of it since I've been away from building for about 6yrs, having built a handful of systems from 94' to 04'. I've been researching for the past few months only, trying to get back up to speed on what is going one these days.

The i5 sounds like it would be best bang for buck and I am on a budget. But that is tough because I do have a liking for what is best and more expensive. In the past I had sort of stuck with Asus only. So I'm inclined to them but would be open to suggestions. I just want a great board that is build to last.

I do see lifespan rating for some boards on the Asus site but not the P55 ones yet.

I'm also teetering on getting an AMD quad because of the price difference. Any input would be appreciated.

Asus and Gigabyte are your best bet. Both use high quality components and should last a while. However, the i5 is new technology, and there is no guarantee that there is not a flaw that will appear much farther down the road. Recently, flaws with the socket emerged at very high OCs. Obviously, for a long term build you would not do that, but the question still remains whether there will be any long terms problems. Probably not, but the risk is always there with new tech.

Well, I don't want to put you off the i5, as it is an excellent chip. I plan on building one in the next month too. I just wanted to mention it because it was a concern I had come across in my research. So, I think your best bet is still to go that route (i5, 1156) with Asus or Gigabyte who make good boards and will stand behind their product. But to answer your question, the i7 1366 (i7 920) and AMD (AM3) chips have been out longer.